Once you have reauthorized Amazon, you will be moved across onto the new API. You will receive two emails: the first to tell you when to expect to be moved, and the second to confirm the move has taken place.
Most of the Amazon connector functionality will remain the same, but there are a few important changes to order downloads to be aware of.
Order row prices and tax amounts
Due to limitations in Amazon's API for the Europe region, prices and tax amounts are handled differently between the European and North American Amazon marketplaces.
North America Amazon region
- Item prices are imported as net (excluding tax) as standard.
- Tax amounts are imported as sent by Amazon, not recalculated from the Brightpearl tax code. Note the Brightpearl tax code is still applied to the order row using the existing integration tax rules. See the rules for sales tax here.
Europe Amazon region (includes UK)
- Item prices are calculated as net (excluding tax). However, Amazon's API only provides item prices including tax, without specifying the tax amount for the order. Therefore Brightpearl must recalculate the net amount using the tax code applied to the order.
- Tax amounts are recalculated using the Brightpearl tax code. Because Amazon does not provide any granular tax information via the API, Brightpearl must calculate the expected tax value using the tax code applied to the order row. The tax code is determined using the existing integration tax rules. See the rules for VAT here.
Warning: Because Brightpearl must recalculate the tax amount, we cannot guarantee the amount of tax set on the order will match Amazon's tax calculation. We are in contact with Amazon to request the tax amount be included in the API in order to improve the accuracy of our tax data.
The way Brightpearl handles Amazon orders containing withheld tax has been improved across both regions to ensure payments match order totals.
- When Amazon withholds taxes, the tax amount is set to 0.00 on the order. Brightpearl only does this when Amazon tells us in the order data that they withheld taxes, as Brightpearl does not have the required information to guess this important information.
Important: Amazon has a defect in the SP-API for orders where certain cross-border shipping scenarios have withheld tax shown in Amazon Seller Central, but this information isn’t sent via the order API. We are working with them to understand timelines to fix or if workarounds are possible.
Pending order contact details
If you are downloading pending orders, you need to make sure that the placeholder contact you have set up has the following key fields populated:
- First and last name
- Email address
- First line
- Postcode/ZIP code
As these details will never be used except during the pending order stage, you can use any placeholder text that is valid (i.e. an email in the form of firstname.lastname@example.org and a valid postcode/ZIP code format), as long as the fields are populated.
Order download performance
The order downloader has been improved to make it faster and more reliable. However, to fix some defects the "Number of days to attempt to create order for" setting has been removed.
Investigation has found that orders very rarely fail repeatedly then recover much later on, as the technical causes of failure either resolve soon after or not at all. However, attempting to handle this scenario caused orders without issues to be delayed without explanation.
To reduce missed orders, the ability to specify how long to attempt order creation has been removed.
Orders are still retried by the downloader in case of short-term errors, and the order reconciliation process runs nightly, looking back on the previous 36 hours for missed orders.
Once that time frame has passed, orders that are missed will need to be manually added.
Note that this change does not impact checking for changes to pending orders. Pending orders are checked every 21 days. This change only impacts cases where Brightpearl is unable to process brand new data (e.g. being informed of a brand new order, or a cancellation or shipping status update for an existing pending order).