Product variants can be created in Brightpearl using an import. In addition, the options and option values can also be edited on existing product groups should they need to be changed.
When importing variants it is important that each product is given:
- The exact same item name
- A unique SKU
- A unique combination of product values
A product group can have a maximum of 4 different dimensions (e.g. color = 1 dimension), represented as a product option. If more dimensions are required they will need to be added into the product name in order to create multiple product groups. For example:
- "Women's running top" in different sizes, fit, material and color
- "Men's running top" in different size, fit, material and color
Creating or updating variants using an import
- Ensure each variant is listed on a separate row in the import file and that they have exactly the same name.
- Ensure the import file contains a column for each different option being assigned to the variants (e.g. Color, Size, Length).
Note: If you are updating variants, you must include all options, even if you are not editing the existing option values!
- Ensure that each option exists in Brightpearl at Settings > Products/Inventory > Options. The spelling must be exactly the same.
Note: The option values (e.g. red, yellow, blue, or small, medium, large) do not have to already exist in Brightpearl. They can be created during the import.
- Ensure that each product in the import file has a different combination of option values assigned in the "Option" columns. It is not possible to assign the same option values to more than one item in the group (i.e. there can be only one "T-shirt" with option values of "small" and "red").
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import products.
- Create a data map to read your file. When creating new products the following fields are required:
SKU, Name, Brand, Category
- Ensure the data map fields are in the same order as in the columns in the file.
Tip: you can click 'Export sample' to export a blank copy of the data map.
- Once the data map is saved, click the Import link in the same row.
- The data map columns are displayed on the left-hand side of the import screen. Ensure the import file has the same columns in the same order.
Note: The first column will be used to check the products in the file against existing Brightpearl products.If the data map needs editing, click the Edit this data map link in the top right-hand corner.
- Make the following selections:
Import values: This determines whether the contents of the file will actually be imported or not. It's a good idea to leave this unchecked to begin with to test everything is fine with the file.
Email me a report: Check this box to receive an email containing a report of what happens with the import.
Skip items not found using match column A: This determines what to do if the system cannot match a row in the file to a product in Brightpearl.
When creating new products, ensure this is unchecked.
Create missing option values (displayed only when option fields are included): If the import file contains new option values for variants, check this box to ensure they are created as part of the import.
Create missing brands (displayed only when "brand" field is included): If the import file contains brand names which are new then check this box to ensure they're created as part of the import.
If all brands should already exist in Brightpearl, leave it unchecked. Beware that the import will fail if there are brands in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt brands in the file.
Category mode (displayed only when "category" field is included): Choose whether to add the imported products to a category (thus having multiple categories), or move the products to a category (removing all previous categories).
When importing new products they will always be added to the category, since there is nothing to move.
Create missing categories (displayed only when "category" field is included): If the import file contains categories which are not in Brightpearl, check this box to ensure they're created as part of the import.
Alternatively, leave it unchecked to prevent new categories from being created. Beware that the import will fail if there are categories in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt categories in the file.
Update only; don't create any new products: When creating new products, ensure this is unchecked.
Select seasons to add: If you are using seasons, select the season(s) to assign to the products. Hold down the control key and select multiple seasons if required.
- Click the Browse button and find the file to be imported.
- Click the Upload XLS file button to attempt the import. Messages will be displayed at the top of the screen to report what has happened.
See the video below for a walkthrough on how to create product variants using a product import.