As well as creating product variants using the import, the options and option values can also be edited on existing product groups should they need swapping.
When importing variants it is important that each product is given:
- The exact same item name
- A unique SKU
- A unique combination of product values
A product group can have a maximum of 4 different dimensions (e.g. color = 1 dimension). If more dimensions are required they will need to be added into the product name, this will create multiple product groups, for example:
- "Womens running top" in different sizes, fit, material and color
- "Mens running top" in different size, fit, material and color
- Ensure each variant is listed on a separate row in the import file and that they have exactly the same name.
- Ensure the import file contains a column for each different option being assigned to the variants (e.g. Color, Size, Length). Note that if you are updating variants, you must include all options, even if you are not editing the existing option values.
- Ensure that each option exists in Brightpearl at Settings > Products/Inventory > Options. The spelling must be exactly the same. Note that the option values (e.g. red, yellow, blue, or small, medium, large) do not have to already exist in Brightpearl, they can be created during the import.
- Ensure that each product in the import file has a different combination of option values assigned in the "Option" columns - it is not possible to assign the same option values to more than one item in the group, i.e. there can be only one "t-shirt - small, red".
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import products.
- Create a data map to read your file. When creating new products the following fields are required:
- Ensure the data map fields are in the same order as in the columns in the file.
- Once the data map is saved, click the Import link next to it.
- The data map is displayed on the left-hand side of the import screen. Ensure the import file has the same columns in the same order. The first column will be used to match the products.
If the data map needs editing, click the Edit this data map link in the top right-hand corner.
- Make the following selections:
Import values - leave this unchecked to begin with and test everything is fine with the file.
Email me a report - check this box and a report of what happens with the import will be emailed to you.
Skip items not found using match column A - when creating new products ensure this is unchecked.
Create missing option values (displayed only when option fields are included) - if the import file contains new option values for variants they will be created as part of the import.
Create missing brands (displayed only when "brand" field is included) - if the import file contains brand names which are new then this box can be checked to create them. If all brands should already exist in Brightpearl leave it unchecked. Beware that the import will fail if there are brands in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt brands in the file.
Category mode</strong) - displayed only when "category" field is included). When importing new products they will always be added to the category, since there is nothing to move.
Create missing categories - displayed only when "category" field is included. This can be checked to create new categories where they don't yet exist in Brightpearl.
Update only; don't create any new products - when creating new products unsure this is unchecked.
Select seasons to add - if you are using seasons select to which season the products should be added. Hold down the control key and select multiple seasons if required.
- Click the Browse button and find the file to be imported.
- Click the Upload XLS file button to attempt the import. Messages will be displayed at the top of the screen to report what has happened.