This can be useful for updating the following:
- Account (nominal) codes per product
- Tax settings / rates
- Prices (note that the price list import must be used where price breaks are required)
- Adding or moving products between categories
- Updating custom fields (when importing data for Yes/No custom field types; enter the digit 1 in your file to represent Yes or the digit 0 to represent No)
- Assigning vendors (suppliers) to products
- Adding or updating codes such as SKU, ISBN. EAN. UPC or barcodes
- Adding or updating product measurements such as weight, height, width or length
The best way to learn about updating via import is a video:
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import products.
- Create a data map to read your file.
- Ensure the first column of the file and data map one of either Brightpearl Product ID, SKU, or Barcode - Any of these can be used as the "hook" for matching the product in Brightpearl to the detail in the file.
- Ensure the data map fields are in the same order as in the columns in the file.
- Once the data map is saved, click the Import link next to it.
- The data map is displayed on the left-hand side of the import screen. Ensure the import file has the same columns in the same order. The first column will be used to match the products.
- Make the following selections as required:
Import values - leave this unchecked to begin with and test everything is fine with the file.
Email me a report - check this box and a report of what happens with the import will be emailed to you.
Skip items not found using match column A - check this box if items in the file should be skipped if they can't be matched with an existing product in Brightpearl.
Create missing option values (displayed only when option fields are included) - if the import file contains new option values for variants they will be created as part of the import.
Create missing brands (displayed only when "brand" field is included) - if the import file contains brand names which are new then this box can be checked to create them. If all brands should already exist in Brightpearl leave it unchecked. Beware that the import will fail if there are brands in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt brands in the file.
Category mode (displayed only when "category" field is included) - choose whether to move a product from its existing category or categories to only the category in the file, or whether to add it to that category as well as any others it may already be in.
Create missing categories (displayed only when "category" field is included) - this can be checked to create new categories where they don't yet exist in Brightpearl. Alternatively, leave it unchecked to prevent new categories from being created. Beware that the import will fail if there are categories in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt categories in the file.
Update only; don't create any new products - if this is checked then it means that the required product fields no longer need to be included on the import file (name, brand, category). It's also a useful back-up to ensure no new products are created by mistake if you know that all items in the file should already exist.
Select seasons to add - if you are using seasons select to which season the products should be added. Hold down the control key and select multiple seasons if required.
- Click the Browse button and find the file to be imported.
- Click the Upload XLS file button to attempt the import. Messages will be displayed at the top of the screen to report what has happened.