Shipping items to customers is handled using goods out notes (GONs). Multiple goods out notes can be created for a single Brightpearl order, to allow fulfillment from different warehouses, or at different times.
WMS provides the flexibility for you to process goods out notes in the way that best suits your organization.
This will be a trade-off between the requirements of the shipping channels, sales channels, priorities and resources that you have available.
- Which shipping company is next to collect?
- Do certain sales channels require special packing?
- How do I keep warehouse assistants from tripping over each other in the warehouse?
- Who should I assign the tasks of picking, packing and shipping to?
- Do I have important customers to prioritize?
- Do I have special service level agreements with certain customers?
Use preset filters, the screen default sort order (e.g. oldest first), batches and assignment to prioritize appropriately.
To create a goods out note, you fulfill a sales order. Fulfillment can be done either in Brightpearl, or in WMS. In many businesses, the process of fulfillment is done using the Brightpearl Automation app, and only some orders need to be fulfilled manually.
If you’re going to fulfill in WMS, you’ll need to be either a supervisor or manager.
How to fulfill orders in WMS
- Log into WMS and click into Goods out > Orders.
- Filter the page to display the relevant orders.
- Select the orders you wish to fulfill and click "Fulfill".
- Choose from the options in the pop-up screen:
- Do you want to allow partial fulfillment if not all the stock is available? Doing so will fulfill the goods which are available and leave the others. If not selected, any order which can't be fully fulfilled will be skipped.
- Which shipping method do you want to use for the fulfillment? This is set to inherit the shipping method from the orders by default.
- If you're inheriting the shipping method from the order, what should the fail-over shipping method be? This is the shipping method used for goods out notes where there’s not one set on the Brightpearl order.
- What order status should the selected orders be updated to?
- Click "Save and close" to fulfill the orders.
Pick, pack and ship
Once it’s been created, a goods out note can go through four stages.
The first three stages are optional, so you could just go straight to shipping, but once a goods out note is shipped it is locked and cannot be edited.
|A paper document is printed using a template depending on the shipping method and the sales channel.|
|A picking list is produced for the items on the goods out note, with the location to pick from. This is usually done as a consolidated picking list using a batch of goods out notes.|
|The items on this goods out note are taken from a picking trolley and placed into packages for each goods out note. You can change the goods out note shipping method if the one automatically selected isn't correct.|
|The goods out note is locked and items are removed from stock in Brightpearl. Brightpearl updates any connected sales channels with shipping and tracking information.|
You can process GONs one at a time, or in batches.
When there’s a problem, an operator can "park" a goods out note with comments for a manager to resolve. You can also set flags on goods out notes.
Typically the manager would have a preset filter to show flagged goods out notes to check each morning.
Parking a goods out note
A goods out note can be parked by clicking the "Park" button when processing the note during the picking and packing stages.
Flagging a goods out note
A goods out note can be flagged by selecting the goods out note in the list, then clicking More actions > Set flag.