Products may need to be added to a group after the group has already been established. For example, a new color or size may have been released.
In order to add the product to the group, you'll need to add that option or option value into the existing group.
To do so, look the group up under Products > List products/services, click the 'Actions' button next to any product in the group, then click 'Edit variants':
Adding option values to an existing group
New option values can be added to a group's existing options by using the add options against the rows and columns:
You will then see the option to select other existing option values or add a brand new one:
Select the option values you would like to add, then click 'Add'.
Adding options to an existing group
New options can be added to the group using the choices at the bottom of the variant management screen.
Select the option you wish to add, or create a new option, then click 'Add options'.
You will then be asked to select the relevant option values:
After clicking 'Next', the option and option values will be added to the grid.
Creating new products from the edit variants screen
After assigning the new options and/or option values to the product group, you will see them added to the grid on the variant management screen.
If a variant doesn't already exist in a group, the grid will display checkboxes in the cells containing those variants. These checkboxes can be used to create new products in a group.
Changing options on an existing group
If you want to replace "Red" with a new option "Deep Red", you'll need to manage the structure of the group. Removing "Red" will leave SKUs with missing options, which you'll need to reassign either manually or by importing a spreadsheet.
When working with large product groups we recommend managing changes to options using the product import.
How to change options
- Go to Products > List products / services.
- Search for the products. Take an export of the product details and associated inventory levels.
- Click the Actions button and select Edit Variants.
- The product group is displayed. Click the Remove link beside the relevant option.
- Click OK to accept the warning.
- The option and all the option values will be removed. All remaining variants will say "No product exists". Each of the remaining option values must be reassigned to the products which are now listed below the variant table. Using the product export from earlier, select the correct option value for each product and then click the Assign options button to update.
Notice that there are still the same number of products in the group. Removing options will not delete the products, only unassign the option from the product group.
There are now no option values that can be assigned. There are several options:
- Delete the products: These products can only be deleted from the product list if they have no financial transactions or orders associated with them.
- Break the products away from the group: This can be done by changing the product name on those records. Ensure that when changing the names that the checkbox below the name is selected. If this is not selected then the name across the whole group will be changed.
- Assign new option or option values: When viewing the product group it is possible to add new option values or new options, as per the instructions above: