Before setting up your Shopify POS with Brightpearl, you will need to install and configure the Brightpearl Shopify app.
To learn about using and setting up a Shopify POS terminal, visit the Shopify website.
Create an anonymous POS customer
A sale in Shopify POS can either be anonymous or associated with a specific customer. Where real customer details are captured, a customer record will be created in Brightpearl and the order will be downloaded against that customer record.
However, an anonymous sale also requires a customer record in Brightpearl, as it is not possible to create a Brightpearl order without a contact record. Set an anonymous customer email under the 'Orders' tab in the Shopify connector.
Set a Shopify POS sales channel
Every Shopify integration has a sales channel in Brightpearl for reporting on sales received via that channel. Additional Shopify sales channels can be added in order to report on Shopify POS sales separately from online Shopify sales.
To set up Shopify POS location mapping, log into Shopify and go into Apps > Brightpearl. Then go into the orders tab and find the "Shopify POS channel mapping" section. Here, you can:
- select a default Shopify POS channel to use for Shopify POS sales in Brightpearl
- map individual Shopify POS locations to Brightpearl channels
The default Shopify POS channel will be used for all Shopify POS orders in case you do not wish to map every Shopify POS location individually.
To perform the mapping, use the setting below the default channel setting.
On the left-hand side, select a Shopify POS location from the dropdown and map it to a Brightpearl channel on the right-hand side.
When Shopify POS orders download into Brightpearl, a channel that you selected will be assigned to each order.
You can only map a Shopify POS location once.
In this example, you have 4 Shopify locations enabled in your Shopify admin:
- Austin Store
- Houston Store
- Dallas Store
- Default Online Orders.
Austin Store, Houston Store, and Dallas Store are physical store locations.
If you want all your physical store orders to be downloaded under one channel in Brightpearl, you can just set up the "Default Shopify POS channel" setting without mapping individual physical locations to separate channels.
If you decide to report on Austin Store orders separately from Houston and Dallas orders, you can map Austin Store to a Brightpearl channel (e.g. "Shopify POS Austin") using the mapping tool, so orders that came from Austin Store will be recorded under a separate channel. Meanwhile, orders that came from Houston Store and Dallas Store will be recorded under the "Default Shopify POS channel" (as you specify in the settings).
If you wish to report on all locations separately, you can use the mapping tool and map each store to a different channel (e.g. Austin Store to "Shopify POS Austin", Houston Store to "Shopify POS Houston", etc.). Orders from each location will be assigned a different channel in Brightpearl.
In all cases, your webstore orders will be recorded against a channel that you select under the "Shopify channel" setting.
How to create a Shopify POS sales channel in Brightpearl
- Go to Settings > Company > Channels .
- Click the Add Channel button.
- Select Shopify (not Shopify POS).
- Enter a channel name. This is how you'll see the sales channel referred to throughout Brightpearl.
- Select a channel brand. This is the company branding that will be applied to documentation created for sales received via this sales channel.
- Choose a warehouse for allocating inventory from when POS orders are downloaded.
- None of the other settings are relevant for Shopify POS - the settings from the main Shopify store sales channel will be used.
- Save the channel.
Creating bank accounts for Shopify POS
Adding a separate bank account for recording cash sales allows you to see how much cash has been receipted. This can be compared to the till balance for an end of day cash reconciliation.
How to create a cash takings account code
- Go to Accounting > Chart of Accounts .
- Select the account type of Banks (US) or Current Assets (UK).
- Click the "Add a new account" button.
- Enter a name for the account.
- If desired enter a 4 digit code - if left blank it will be automatically assigned.
How to create a cash takings payment method
- Go to Settings > Company > Payment methods
- Click "Add a new payment method"
- Give it a name (e.g. Cash Receipts) and a code (e.g. CASH)
- Set the bank account as the cash takings bank account created earlier
- Save changes
Update the connector settings
Log into Shopify and go to Apps > Brightpearl. Click on "Payments" and enter the payment method code for the cash takings payment method into the "Payment method for cash payments" box.
Decide if you want to create Sales Credits
When a refund is processed through Shopify POS, it can be downloaded into Brightpearl as a sales credit. This feature is optional, as you may want to manage this separately.
You can define the exact behavior behind this feature by selecting the relevant settings you are interested in using. You can select whether you’d like any transaction refunds to be captured in Brightpearl as sales receipts, and additionally if you’d like us to receive goods back into stock if you did so in Shopify POS. You can also select which of your sales credit statuses you’d like us to create the orders on.
To access the settings, go to the Brightpearl Shopify app > Refunds and enable "Create Sales Credits from Returns". Set your "New sales credit status" and decide whether you want to automatically receive items back into stock. If you do, decide where the items should be returned (the default location or the quarantine location).
You are now ready to use Shopify POS.