A shipping method can be set against a sales order, and it can also be set on a goods-out note.
Shipping methods help with:
- Filtering sales orders and prioritizing fulfillment
- Filtering goods-out notes and prioritizing picking, packing and shipping
- Automatically applying the relevant goods-out note template (useful when a carrier requires a specific format)
- Adding shipping charges to manually entered orders (see shipping prices/quotes)
- Transmitting shipping details to certain integrated sales channels
Creating shipping methods
A shipping method in its simplest form is a name assigned to an order or goods-out note for filtering and sorting.
Shipping methods, when used with shipping zones and shipping prices, can also be used to quote and assign shipping charges to sales orders.
How to create a shipping method
- Go to Settings > Shipping > Shipping methods.
- Click Add shipping method.
- The fields are as follows:
Name: Enter the name of the shipping method as it should appear on sales and goods-out notes
Code: Enter a code for the shipping method
Carrier: Which carrier the shipping method relates to. This field is only used to transmit data to Amazon.
Require weight/boxes in warehouse manager: This is an obsolete field.
Shipping charges fields
Optional list of allowed countries: Which countries the shipping method is used for. Use the two digit ISO code.
Break type: Choose from weight, price and number of items; the breaks used when calculating the shipping price.
Breaks: The actual breaks used to calculate shipping price.
The shipping charges fields relate to using shipping prices/quotes.
- In the templates tab, select whether a specific template should be used for goods-out notes using this shipping method. Set one per channel brand. If left blank the channel brand template will be used.
- Save changes.
Assigning shipping methods
Shipping methods are applied to both sales orders and goods-out notes in Brightpearl.
The shipping method is set on a sales order in several ways:
- Automatically when the order is created via an integrated sales channel
- Manually when entering an order
The shipping method used for a goods-out note can be set in several ways:
- Inherited from the original sales order
- Assigned at the point of fulfillment
- Re-assigned on the goods-out note at point of packing
Note: The shipping method set for a goods out note will not update the shipping method on the sales order. Similarly, once a goods out note has been created, updating the shipping method on the sales order will not update the goods out note.
A sales order can have multiple goods-out notes all with different shipping methods, but the sales order itself can only have a single shipping method.