The Brightpearl BigCommerce integration only supports store credit type of refund. When an order is refunded by a retail buyer from the BigCommerce frontend, and then processed as a store credit in BigCommerce admin, a sales credit will be created in Brightpearl automatically against the original sales order.
First, please make sure that you configure your Brightpearl BigCommerce integration to handle automatic creation of sales credit out of store credit action.
To do that, from your BigCommerce admin, go to Brightpearl app > click 'Refunds' tab > Set up the following:
Create sales credits from returns
This function will automatically create a sales credit in Brightpearl linked back to the original sales order once a sales credit action has been performed in BigCommerce.
This will automatically mark the sales credit created in Brightpearl as refunded once the refund is process in Brightpearl. Switching this off means that a user would need to mark orders as refunded in both systems. This can be used as a helpful reconciliation step to verify accurate refunding.
Receive inventory back into stock
This determines if items are automatically received against the sales credit upon issuing the refund. This should be used if you wait until items are received before issuing a refund in BigCommerce.
The returned stock location will determine if the item is received back into the item’s default location in the default stock allocation warehouse or into inventory in transit as a quarantine.
Workflow for automatic creation of sales credit in Brightpearl
1. Customer initiates the return from BigCommerce frontend.
If you as a merchant have allowed returns, then for a shipped order, a customer can select to return one or more items, providing information about the reason for the return.
On selecting return items against the order the customer wishes to return, they can select how many of each item on the order will be returned as well as a reason for the return and return actions to indicate whether they would like a replacement, refund or store credit etc. In order to automatically create a sales credit in Brightpearl, the customer will need to select 'store credit' as a return action.
2. On submitting the form, you will see the return request in the admin dashboard by going to BigCommerce admin > Orders > Return request.
3. You can then select an appropriate action by updating the status of any given return request as well as selecting a possible action to initiate against an individual request. Change status to 'Items Refunded'.
Then select Actions > 'Issue Store Credit'.
4. This will create a sales credit in Brightpearl which will be linked to the original sales order.
5. If you choose items to be returned back into stock automatically, you will need to set 'receive inventory back in stock' setting in the Brightpearl BigCommerce app.
Alternatively, the refund process can be first processed in BigCommerce, and then handled within Brightpearl by cloning the sale to credit and processing a refund and receiving the inventory. Learn more about manual creation of a store credit in Brightpearl here.