Activities are tasks created in Brightpearl that will display in your calendar and on your personal things to do list (My Events).
An activity can be an event, a call, a job, a follow-up activity, a meeting, a holiday or just a thing to do! Assign them to one or more staff members, create them in relation to a particular customer and track progress using the activity status.
Viewing tasks, activities or events
You can see your active events in list form, as a to-do list, as well as on your calendar.
- To-Do List To see your list of tasks made by you or assigned to you go to Username > My Events. Or use the Quick Search box.
- Calendar To see your tasks on the calendar go to Username > Calendar: Day, Week or Month.
Only open events are displayed. An activity is considered closed when it is either in the past or has been marked complete.
Marking a task, activity or event complete
Tasks/Activities can be marked complete you can open to edit the task and change the status, or you can go to username > My Events and click the Mark complete link next to the relevant task/activity/event.
Editing a task, activity or event
Anyone can edit tasks/activities/events using on of the following methods:
- Hover your mouse over your username at the top of the screen and select to view the calendar.
- Select whose calendar you want to view on the left.
- Find the event in the calendar and click the event title to edit it.
- Alternatively, hover your mouse over your username and select My Events to show a list of events, then search for and select the activity.
- Make the necessary changes and save.
Event team and contacts
Every event must have a manager (owner); this person will be able to edit the event information and add other people to the event. The owner is also responsible for ensuring that the event is completed.
You can assign additional staff to an activity, for example, people signed up for a training event.
Adding People to a task, activity or event
- Search for, and click to edit the activity (use the Quick Search or go to My Events to view the Event List).
- In the People section select the staff member from the Add drop-down menu.
- Click Save changes.
By default when creating a job for a project, every member of the project is added to the event with all notifications turned off. When you assign an owner for an event, upon saving the event Brightpearl will make sure that the owner is set as an administrator for the event.
Brightpearl can automatically email or SMS the event team members when the task/activity/event changes. To switch this on go to Settings > Tasks/Activities > Activity Defaults.
Format and information
The message that is sent to the contacts is defined using the Brightpearl template system. Go to Settings > Templates > Document Templates. The default template used is called "Task update email".
Staff members will see all notes, and clients will only see public notes in their email notification.
If you are a user of the event you can add notes to it at any time. You can also upload files with the note which can later be downloaded by any member of the event. If you tick the “notify contacts” box when you upload the file, then all contacts on the event that are set to receive email notifications will get the file as an email attachment. Event clients only see “public” notes, and event staff see all notes.
Only public notes are visible when viewing events on the website portal for Helpdesk or Project Management.
Deleting or hiding events
Events can be deleted, but only by the person who created them. And if you want to keep a record of it you can hide it from your Event List and Calendar by simply marking it as complete. Your list and calendar only display open and future tasks/activities/events. If you wish to view a closed or historical event you can use the filters on the Event List to include completed events.
To completely delete a task/activity/event:
- Search for and open your task/activity/event. You can find it using the Quick Search box, the Event List in My Events or on your calendar.
- When the activity window is open, click on the Delete link.
- Click OK to confirm you want to delete the task/activity/event.
Activity Statuses are used for tracking the progress of your tasks/activities/events. For example:
- Not started
- In progress
You can filter your Events List by these statuses to make sure you keep track of them.
To edit the statuses go to Settings > Tasks/Activities > Activity statuses. You can add as many as you need and then use the setup screen to specify your default statuses for new and closed activities; go to Settings > Tasks/Activities > Activity defaults.