If the customer would like a replacement item sent out it depends on what historical detail you want to keep for reporting purposes on how you will handle this exchange.
If you want to keep a full history or the exchange you can clone the original sales order to a sales credit, receive the item back into stock then create a new sales order for shipping out the replacement. The credit and new invoice can be matched in order to clear the customer account of any debt and mark them both as paid.
The benefit of this method is that you can use sales credit statuses to record the reason for the credit and you can create a new goods-out note for shipping purposes, you can also easily see if a customer has been buying and returning many orders. The inventory will be moved into quarantine before begin returned to stock so you have the opportunity to decide whether it is in a saleable state before updating availability across your sales channels.
History not required
If you don't need a full history on the customer account, or you're happy to do this with notes, a simple like-for-like exchange can be done with no extra work required in Brightpearl. However, the returned item might not always be a goods as new, you will therefore need to consider the changes to your inventory value and level. inventory corrections can be done to remove the replacement item from stock at cost and a correction done to add the returned item at cost.
Related how to guides - Sales Returns / Exchanges
How to clone a sales order to a sales credit
- Search for and open the original sales order containing the items to be credited or returned. Alternatively, a credit can be started from Sales > New Credit .
- Select the lines that are being credited, or returned. Note that quantities can be edited directly on the credit later.
Clone to Sales Credit
button just above the line items.
How to complete a sales credit & create the accounting
Once you have created the sales credit (either by cloning the original sale, or manually) you will need to mark it as credited to create the accounting and update the customer account balance.
- Search for an open the sales return/credit.
- Click the Credit button.
How to mark a return/credit as refunded
Note that marking a return/credit as refunded in Brightpearl will not move any money.
- Search for and open the sales return/credit.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Do refund .
- Select the bank account the money is going to be refunded from.
- Enter a reference and the amount that will be refunded to the customer.
- Click Allocate payment to finish.