Invoicing will complete a sale and ensure all the necessary actions are taken to update the customer and accounting are taken. It should be performed even if the invoice document does not need to be sent to the customer.
Invoicing can It can be performed at any stage in the sales cycle - so before or after taking payment or shipping. And it can be done one order at a time, or in batches.
Invoicing can be reversed by un-invoicing which allows corrections to be made to the order before re-invoicing.
Invoicing sales orders
Invoicing is a required step in Brightpearl to complete a sale. It can be performed at any stage in the sales cycle - so before or after taking payment or shipping. And it can be done one order at a time, or in batches.
Invoicing a sale will:
- Create an invoice reference and invoice document
- Update the order status to the "invoiced" status defined by the sales workflow
- Update the customer's account balance and financial history
- Lock the sale so no further changes can be made
- Post an SI journal in accounting (in base currency)
- (Optional) Automatically email the billing customer the invoice
How to invoice an order
- Search for and open the sales order.
- Click the Invoice button.
How to invoice sales in batches
- Go to Sales > Recent Sales.
- Use the filters to search for the relevant orders.
- Use the checkboxes to select the orders to be invoiced.
- Click the Invoice button at the top of the list.
Emailing invoices to customers
Invoices can be emailed to customers manually, or automatically as part of the process of invoicing.
By default invoices will be sent to the email address seen in the invoice address details on the order. This email address will default onto the order depending on settings, but can always be manually overridden, either on the order, or when manually emailing a single invoice.
Which email address is used by default?
Invoices will always be emailed to the email address in the invoice address section of the order, so changing the email address here will control where the invoice is sent. The email address settings provide control over which email address will be entered by default.
Choose whether to use the customer main email, accounts email, or the accounts email if it's there, otherwise use the main email.
How to activate automatic emailing of invoices
- Go to Settings > Sales > Sales settings.
- Set Automatically email invoice to billing email address to "Yes".
- Save your changes.
How to email an invoice to a customer
- Search for and open the sale.
- Click the email/print button.
- Select or enter the email address to send it to.
- Type an email body.
- Click to send the email.
How to email invoices in batches
- Go to Sales > Recent sales.
- Filter the list to display the invoiced orders for which invoice documents need to be emailed.
- Use the checkboxes to select the invoices to be emailed.
- Click the Send email button.
- Select the invoice template to use.
- Click to email the documents.
Invoices can be printed from Brightpearl using customized templates. They can be produced one-by-one or in batches.
How to print an invoice
Before an invoice can be printed, the order must have been invoiced. This will generate the invoice reference.
- Search and open the sales order/invoice.
- Click the Email/Print button at the top of the screen.
- The invoice document is displayed using the default invoice template and branding defined by the sales channel and its channel brand. If necessary use the link at the top of the page to change the template.
- Click the Print link at the top and send it to the printer.
How to re-print an invoice
When an order is invoiced the PDF document is produced and attached to the order. It can be seen in the order Notes and payment history tab fas well as on the customer timeline. From here the original document can be viewed or printed. The exception to this is when the orders were invoiced as a batch and the option to skip producing the PDF documents was chosen:
If the PDF document is not available in the notes and payment history, then the invoice can simply be re-printed from using the Email/Print button within the order.
How to batch print invoices
- Go to Sales > Recent sales
- Filter the list to display the invoiced orders for which invoice documents need to be printed.
- Use the checkboxes to select the invoices to be printed.
- Click the Print button.
- Select the invoice template to use.
- Click to print the documents. They will be displayed in a new tab in the browser from where they can be sent to the printer.
A template is used for printing or emailing invoice documents. Multiple templates can be created and selected for creating invoices. The default template used when invoicing an order is selected from the channel brand connected to the order sales channel, along with the logo and business name and address. This allows branding to be applied to documents based on the channel from which the order came.
To learn more about building templates in Brightpearl visit the Templates page.
How to change the default invoice template
- Go to Settings > Company > Company information .
- Click to edit the relevant channel brand.
- In the pop-up window, select the Templates tab.
- Select the default sales invoice template and save.
- Ensure the channel brand is assigned to each sales channel which should use these templates, company details and logo, at Settings > Company > Channels .