Internal stock movements are used to move stock around within a single warehouse. The method of moving stock depends on the warehouse location mode.
You can read more about warehouse location modes in the warehouse locations article.
Standard location management
In standard location management, all the inventory of a single SKU is located in the same location. This location is recorded for each warehouse directly on the product record.
When this location is changed on the product record, all existing inventory is moved into the new location automatically. Changing the location on the product can be done manually from within the product record or it can be done in bulk using the product import.
How to move inventory between warehouse locations - standard location management
- Go to Products > List products/services and click 'Show filter' to search for your product
- Click into the product and and click the Stock/Inventory tab
- Update the 'Default location' against the relevant warehouse
- Create an import file including the default location
- Import your file to update products and their locations
Multiple concurrent location management
With multiple concurrent location management, inventory for a single SKU can be stored in multiple locations at once.
How to move inventory between warehouse locations - multiple concurrent location management
- Go to Products > Internal stock movement.
- Search for the product and click Move.
- The current locations and quantities will be displayed. Enter the quantity to move from each location.
- Select the location these items should be moved into.
- Click the Move items button.
Moving allocated inventory
Inventory that is allocated to sales orders or warehouse transfers can be moved between warehouse locations when the option is enabled at Settings > Products / Inventory > Inventory settings. Once enabled it allows allocated inventory to be moved within the Internal stock movement process in the back office, and via the API.
- Enable Move Allocated Inventory
Choose yes to allow allocated inventory to be included in stock movements between warehouse locations. Inventory movements will be limited to the "in stock" quantity.
Choose no to prevent inventory allocated to sales or transfers from being moved between warehouse locations. Inventory movements will be limited to the "on hand" quantity.
- Should inventory movements prefer unallocated inventory?
When inventory movements of allocated inventory is enabled, this setting controls whether unallocated inventory will be moved first.
Choose yes to always move unallocated stock first.
Choose no to always move allocated stock first.
Can I do bulk internal stock movements?
When using standard locations, yes. In this case the product import can be used to update the default location across a batch of SKUs. This will also move the inventory for each SKU.
When using multiple concurrent locations, no. In this case the only way to move inventory for multiple SKUs in one go is to use the CSV inventory update. This can be used to completely remove the items from stock at one location and re-add them at another. This will create accounting and it will break FIFO since the items re-added will be the last in and therefore last sold.