ShipStation is a web based shipment management system that integrates with over 30 leading carrier APIs to assist you in your label creation
You can connect ShipStation to Brightpearl at no extra cost, enabling you to effectively manage customers, inventory and orders from multiple sales channels whilst connecting directly with your shipping carriers.
Brightpearl is going to be your central order processing system, potentially receiving orders through multiple sales channels. Each order begins life in Brightpearl and must be fulfilled to a goods-out note. It's goods-out notes which download to ShipStation.
Order lines will be split into multiple lines in ShipStation itself to ensure the warehouse location is preserved for the various lines - each product may have a different warehouse location, which means that we need to be able to allow for that.
Splitting / partial orders / back orders
If an order needs to be partially shipped it should be split in Brightpearl so that a goods-out note is created for each shipment. Each goods-out note will be downloaded into ShipStation for shipping separately.
If an order is split in ShipStation it will not update the goods-out note in Brightpearl.
Orders can be combined within ShipStation but the Brightpearl goods-out note will not be updated since the ShipStation reference will change.
Printing packing / goods-out notes
Packing notes (or goods-out notes) can be printed either from Brightpearl or ShipStation. ShipStation packing slips are only editable on the Silver plan upwards. Printing from Brightpearl allows you to add more customer and order information onto the template, and also supports “channel branding” - which means you can have different logos, contact details and template layout for different sales channels.
Cancelling / voiding / deleting
Once a goods-out note is downloaded from Brightpearl and into ShipStation it is an independent record, so canceled order needs to be deleted in ShipStation as well as the goods-out note in Brightpearl.
In Brightpearl, your sales orders will list both the Bundle and bundle components. We will only send the bundle components to ShipStation.
For any variant products you have, we will only send the base product details to ShipStation - the options won't be listed (ie size, color).
Sales channels are sent to ShipStation with each order. This allows different branding to be applied to the shipment once it is in ShipStation. In order for ShipStation to identify the sales channel from Brightpearl you will need to assign each of the Brightpearl sales channel ID numbers to the relevant store in ShipStation.
Brightpearl channel ID's can be found by using your browser's inspect tool. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org and our technicians will find them for you
A shipping method is not required to be assigned to the Brightpearl order or goods-out for it to upload to ShipStation. However, if assigned they will appear on the order in ShipStation. You can even apply your mapped ShipStation shipping methods by using the same name in Brightpearl as in ShipStation.
You can print pick lists from either Brightpearl or ShipStation - the format is virtually identical. However, the Brightpearl warehouse location will not be transferred to ShipStation, so you’ll need to add them manually in ShipStation. We are looking at transferring inventory locations to ShipStation in a future release.
Orders are shipped in ShipStation. Once an order is marked as shipped in ShipStation the order shipping status will be updated in Brightpearl and details of the shipment are added into the order notes and history, including any tracking reference assigned in ShipStation.
You can set your ShipStation account to send any email you like, and change the email template. You can also use Brightpearl to let customers know that their order has been packed, when you pack the goods-out notes from the Brightpearl screens.
Using Boxora or other pick/pack systems with ShipStation
To enable you to use multiple systems and factor in different workflows, we've built the ShipStation app so that it can be set up to receive all goods-out notes, or only once they've been Printed, Picked or Packed.
Note: If you set the app to only download goods-out notes once they have been packed, when we subsequently update Brightpearl we actually Unpack and then re-pack, so that we can add the tracking reference and service.
The ShipStation app is included in your Brightpearl subscription, all you'll need is an account with ShipStation who charge a monthly fee. Find out more about pricing on the ShipStation website.
Connecting ShipStation to Brightpearl
Nothing needs to be installed on your Brightpearl account, you just need to add Brightpearl as a store within your ShipStation account. Once you've done that you'll see your goods-out notes start to download into ShipStation and are ready to be processed.
All you need to do is add the connector details into your ShipStation account.
How to connect ShipStation to Brightpearl
- In ShipStation, go to Settings > Selling Channels > Store Setup.
- Click Connect a Store or Marketplace and choose Brightpearl.
- Enter your Brightpearl username (this is the email address you use to log into your Brightpearl account) and your password.
- Add the integration URL - this is "http://shipstation.brightpearl.com/shipstationxml".
- Enter your account code - the company ID you use to access your Brightpearl login screen.
- Enter your Channel IDs - Comma separated values corresponding to the ID numbers associated with your channels. You can find these using the browser inspect tool in the Channels list within Brightpearl. Eg for channels 1, 2 and 3 you should enter: 1,2,3
- Choose your data center. You can see which data center you are on from your Brightpearl admin URL:
- http://use1.brightpearl.com is on USE
- http://euw1.brightpearl.com is on EU1
- Choose your weight unit. Ensure this matches the weight unit type in your Brightpearl account, found under Settings > Products/Inventory > Inventory Settings.
- Choose your download shipments option. This is the status your goods out notes will be in when they import into Shipstation.
- Choose what to do with the goods note in Brightpearl when the shipment is shipped in Shipstation.
- Test the connection, then click Connect to save.
I'm seeing an error in ShipStation when trying to connect Brightpearl - "The marketplace returned an error: Collection is read-only"
This will be seen in the settings found within your ShipStation account are to download all goods-out notes from Brightpearl. You need to choose whether to download goods-out notes from Brightpearl if they are set to either "printed", "picked" or "packed".
To edit this setting follow the steps in the guide below.
How to change your ShipStation settings
- Log into ShipStation.
- Go to Settings.
- Under the Setup section select Stores.
- Your marketplaces will be listed. Click on your Brightpearl app.
- Click the Edit store button.
- Select the Connection tab and click the Reconfigure Connection button.
- In the "Download shipments into ShipStation when Brightpearl goods out note is:" field select whether you wish goods-out notes to download when they are either Printed, Picked or Packed.
- You will need to re-enter your Brightpearl Password and Brightpearl Account Code before clicking Finish.
- Click the Save Changes button to close and save your new settings.