Creating a product record
There are two types of product:
- stock tracked, where inventory levels are managed, e.g. an individual product you sell
- non-stock tracked, where inventory levels are not held, e.g. labor
Follow these instructions to create a product record:
- On the left-hand side of the screen click the Quick Add icon and select Product.
- In the Product info tab, make the following entries:
- Item name: Mug
- Brand: Other
- Category: Part
- In the Stock/Inventory tab, make the following entries:
- Manage inventory levels for this item? Set to "Yes"
- Minimum stock level: 1
- Re-order quantity: 10
- In the Prices tab make the following entries:
- Cost price: 2.50
- Retail price: 5.99
- In the Vendor/Supplier tab, select a vendor (supplier) of the product.
- Click the Save changes button to finish adding the product.
You'll be returned to the product list displaying your new item. Notice there are inventory levels (currently zero) indicating this is a stock tracked item, a non-stock tracked item will display only dashes. You can view a list of your products at anytime by going to Products > List products/services.
Next, follow these steps to create 3 sizes of mug: Small, Medium and Large.
- Search for the Mug you just added using the Quick Search box in the top-right corner of the screen. Type "mug" and select Products from the drop-down before clicking Go.
- When your product is listed, click Actions and Create variants on the right hand side.
- Select the checkbox to add sizes to your product and click Next.
- Select the 3 sizes to be created and click Next.
- The product variations have now been created, as indicated by green check marks in the grid. Use the other tabs to set prices and unique SKUs for each variant.
- Save your changes and use the link at the top to list your items.
Brightpearl uses the original product to create copies. Each one has a different "option value" assigned to it (small, medium or large). These items are now linked (by name) and managed as a product group, so changes on one record will update them all.
You can create more options (e.g. "color") and option values (e.g. "blue") during the creation of variants in this way, or view and add them at Settings > Products/Inventory > Options and Option values.
Viewing low inventory and creating a purchase order
This guide will show you how to view your low inventory report and create a purchase order for all your items. You can learn more about purchasing in the next Getting Started guide.
- Go to Products > Low inventory report.
- Click the Show filter button and then filter the listing by your vendor (as assigned on your product "Mug").
- The estimated order quantity is displayed for each product on the right-hand side of the page. Change these as you desire.
- Click the Create purchase order button. You'll be taken to the purchase order.
- Click the Email/Print button and send the order to your vendor via email.
Checking what is on order
Search again for "mug" in the Quick Search box, making sure you're searching Products before clicking Go.
You will see that there are no items in stock, but you should have figures in the "On order" column. Click this number and you'll get a pop-up that gives you more detail of what's coming and when.
Searching for products
There are several ways of searching for products in Brightpearl and you can search by using multiple criteria.
Using the Quick Search box in the top right-hand corner, you can search for products by product SKU, product barcode or by Brightpearl product ID.
Product list filters
Within Products > List products/services, you can filter your products by product SKUs, product barcodes or by Brightpearl product ID using the Show filter button.
Within orders, you can search for products by product SKU or by entering the product barcode.
Receiving items into stock
A few days later, a box should turn up at your warehouse with the items that you ordered. Follow these steps to receive the items into stock.
- Search for the purchase order. You can do this by using the quick search (searching on Purchases) using the vendor name or purchase order number. Alternatively you can search for the vendors and view their order history.
- When you have located the order, enter it by clicking the order number.
- Click the Receive inventory button.
- At this stage you will need to make sure you have received all the items listed. When you are happy with the quantity received, click the Submit button to receive the items into stock.
You'll be taken back to the purchase order. You can see the quantity received against each line of the order.
Checking inventory levels
Search for "mug" again in the quick search (Products). You'll see that there are now items in stock, and any unreceived items will remain on order.
Allocating inventory to sales orders
Brightpearl lets you reserve inventory for a certain customer without removing it from the system, which is useful if you only have part of an order in stock and want to hold items until the remaining items come in from a vendor.
To allocate inventory you will need a sales order:
- On the left-hand side of the screen click the Quick Add icon and select Invoice.
- Look up or add a new customer.
- A new order will be displayed for your customer. Add a small mug to the order by typing the product name or SKU in the Item Code column. The price will be populated as long as it was entered against the product earlier. If not, you can manually enter a price now.
- Save the order.
- To allocate inventory to this sale click the Allocate all link just below the line item.
- Click Save changes .
The inventory is now reserved for this sales order. Search again for "mug" in the quick search and you'll see that there's a number for stock "allocated" and your "on hand" level has reduced, but your "in stock figure" remains the same.
On hand inventory is the quantity you have in stock less any allocated inventory. On hand is the quantity you have available to sell. So if you have 10 in stock and you've allocated 4, you have 6 on hand for other customers.
Making stock corrections
You can make corrections and adjustments to your inventory levels to increase or decrease your inventory figure. You may do this after a stock take.
First of all, add two units of the small mug into stock:
- Go to Products > Add inventory.
- In the pop-up window search for "mug" and select the warehouse where this stock is held.
- From the results, click on the Add items link next to the small mug.
- Enter the quantity to add into stock and the cost value of each. You need a cost to ensure your assets are updated.
- Enter a reason for this adjustment, such as "found during stock take".
- Click Add items to complete the adjustment.
Now make a negative adjustment, to remove one medium mug from stock:
- Go to Products > Remove inventory .
- In the pop-up window click the link to view the stock detail report.
- Locate the item in the listing (you can use the filters to narrow down your results).
- Hover your mouse over the item and click the pencil icon next to the quantity.
- In the pop-up window enter the quantity to remove and a reason for the adjustment, such as "adjustment due to stock take".
- Click Remove items to complete the adjustment.
Not only will your inventory level be updated, but all the necessary accounting adjustments will be made.