This is an introduction to the purchases module. Purchases in Brightpearl cover everything from requisitions to orders and invoices. This 6 step guide provides an overview of some of the processes and features you'll need to know for buying and receiving inventory. All of these topics are covered in detail in the purchases documentation.
To add products onto purchase orders your products will need to already exist in Brightpearl. If you haven't already, run through Getting Started with Products & Inventory.
If you have had a go at other Getting Started exercises you may already have a few purchase records.
Creating a new purchase order
- On the left-hand side of the screen click the Quick Add icon and select Purchase .
- Look up an existing vendor (supplier), or add a new vendor (supplier).
Add an order row:
- In Item code field begin typing your product name or SKU.
- Click the link below to add more rows.
Batch add products:
- Click the Batch add price list items link below the order rows.
- In the pop-up window search for your products.
- Enter the quantity against each item to be added to the order.
- Click the Add button to add them all.
- Close the pop-up window.
Add free text rows:
Free text rows can be used to add extra items, such as shipping, discount or even just further details.
- Click the link to add a new row.
- Place your cursor in the Details section of the line, where it says "-type free text here...".
- In the Account drop-down, choose the account/nominal code to which this purchase belongs. This will be used to track purchases by category in your accounting.
- Select the tax code if applicable.
- Enter the quantity.
- Enter the price (enter a negative value for discount).
Each line is color coded:
- A pink line indicates the items are stock tracked and have not been received.
- A green line indicates the items are stock tracked and have been received.
- A white line indicates a non-stock tracked item or free text line.
Save your order:
The save button is located both at the top and at the bottom of the order screen.
You will need to save before processing the order, or leaving the page.
Sending your order to the vendor (supplier)
- Whilst in the purchase order, click the Email/Print button at the top.
- Your document is displayed (you can edit these templates). Click the Email link at the top.
- Select your vendor's (supplier's) email address and click Send .
- Click Close to return to the order.
The order is emailed to your vendor (supplier) and the order status is automatically updated. Details of the order can be seen on the vendor (supplier) communication history (timeline).
Receiving in the goods
When your vendor (supplier) has dispatched your order and it arrives at your storage location, you will need to mark the items as received into stock.
- In the order click the Receive inventory button at the top.
- Confirm you have received the same quantity as you ordered, if not, enter the amount you have received.
- Click the Submit button.
This increases your inventory levels and updates your assets in accounting.
Receive the purchase invoice
When you vendor (supplier) invoices you, you will need to post it into the system to recognize that you owe them money.
- From within the purchase order, click the Receive invoice button at the top.
- Enter the vendor's (supplier's) invoice number - use 8874522.
- Enter the invoice date - use today's date.
- Enter the date payment is due - click the 30 days button to auto-calculate.
- Click the Receive Invoice button.
This locks the order so you can no longer change quantities and prices. The vendor (supplier) account now shows that you owe them money and the transaction is also posted to accounts.
Record a payment to your vendor (supplier)
You can use this method to record a payment made to your vendor (supplier) (this won't actually make the payment).
- Scroll to the bottom of the purchase order.
- Click the Allocate Payment button.
- Select the bank account the payment was made from.
- Enter the date the payment was made, let's say today.
- Enter the payment reference, this will be a check number or statement reference, let's say 698477.
- Click the Allocate payment button.
- Click the link to return to the order.
The order is marked as paid and the vendor's (supplier's) account balance is reduced indicating that you no longer owe them money. This transaction is also posted to accounts.
Creating a purchase order status
Your Brightpearl account is set with a number of predefined statuses, which of course you can edit if you want to.
- Go to Settings > Purchases > Purchase statuses .
- Click the Add a new status button
- Enter "Items dispatched" into the Order status name.
- Set the number of remind days to 3, which means that you'll get a reminder if purchase orders on this status are not updated within 3 days.
- Select a color for the status from the color wheel, and the shade from the Centre square.
- Click the Add new status button.
The screen refreshes with the new item added to the list of statuses. You can rearrange the statuses by clicking and dragging them into place using the green arrow on the left. You can now see this extra status in your menus.