Custom fields are an attribute that can be added to several kinds of record in order to capture information that isn't a part of that record's field set.
They can be added to:
- Product records
- Customer records
- Vendor records
- Sales orders and credits
- Purchase orders and credits
Custom fields can be used for reference, searching and reporting.
Types of custom field
Custom fields can be of the following types:
- Freeform text
Any text up to 255 characters.
- Numeric only
Any number up to 999,999,999. Brightpearl will make sure that the value entered is a number.
- Select list
Create a dropdown list of items to choose from.
- Text area
Any text over 255 characters. This text can be formatted using a WYSIWYG editor or using HTML.
Use this to display a Yes/No selection. (When importing, ensure you enter the digit 1 to represent Yes, and the digit 0 to represent No).
A date, selected through the pop-up calendar.
If you set a custom field as "required" then a record cannot be saved without that field being filled in.
When creating a custom field, you can assign each one to a customized tab, which allows you to group them into sections instead of on one page. For example, on a sale you may have one tab regarding order customization and one tab regarding return information:
Creating custom fields
- Go to Settings > Custom fields and select the record type to add custom fields to.
- Once you've selected the record type, click the Add a field button on the top right-hand side. This will open the custom field creation modal.
- Enter a name and code for the custom field.
Note: The code must be unique across all custom fields, as it's used to fill information using imports and pull information into templates.
- Specify whether the new field should be added to an existing tab or a new tab.
- Choose the type of custom field.
- Specify whether this field is required. If you set it as required you will not be able to save the record, after adding or editing it, without completing the field.
- (Contacts only) Specify whether this field can be edited on the web portal. This will allow contacts with access to the portal to edit the information themselves.
- Click Save to close the window.
How to create a select list custom field
If you're creating a select list custom field, there are a few additional steps you must do in order to fill the dropdown list.
Once you've set the custom field type to "Select list" and saved it, you'll see a link appear next to the custom field in the custom field list that states "Edit options":
- Click Edit options on the row.
- Click the Add a value button.
- Enter the first select list item and save.
- Continue to add select list items until the dropdown menu choices are all added.
Deleting custom fields
Custom fields can be deleted by clicking the rubbish bin icon in the "Actions" column on the custom field list.
A custom field can be deleted at any time, even if it's been used. Once a custom field has been deleted, the data it was storing is lost and cannot be restored.
Searching and reporting by custom fields
Product, customer, vendor, sales and purchase order listings can all be filtered on custom fields by clicking "Show filter" then clicking "Add filter" in the "Additional filters" section:
Custom fields can also be added as configurable columns on reports which support them, as well as be added to presets, allowing you to build customized reports that can be easily revisited. Learn more about configurable columns and presets here.
Warning: If a preset contains a custom field which is then deleted, the preset will no longer work and you will get an error on trying to access the page. Remember to remove the custom field from your preset before you delete it.