To record overheads and bills, such as rent and rates, gas, electricity and phone bills you can enter a bill directly against the vendor record.
This will not record details of products/services or create any documentation - it will simply post the relevant accounting and update the vendor account to say you owe them money.
In the same way, a vendor credit can be entered. These processes can also be used for posting tax/VAT only transactions, with no goods or services.
How to enter a vendor bill or credit
- Got to Vendors > Enter a Bill or Vendors > Vendor credit
- Search for the vendor (only primary vendor contacts are searchable) or add a new vendor.
- Select the tax date and due date.
- Enter the Bill reference.
- Enter any further details.
- Enter the net amount.
- Select the correct tax code to calculate the tax and total values.
- Select the account code the charge relates to (e.g. Rent).
- To add more rows using a different tax rate or nominal code click the Add row button and then enter the details.
- To simultaneously create a payment and mark this invoice/credit as paid, select the Mark as paid at the same time checkbox.
- Click the Extra Options link if you want to associate this invoice with a channel, project or lead source.
- Click the Enter Bill button.
Foreign currency bills
The currency for a bill defaults to the vendor currency, but it can be changed before submitting the bill. The exchange rate defaults to the system exchange rate but can be edited before submitting. This rate is used to convert the figures to base currency for financial reporting, but the foreign currency balance will appear on the customer record.
If a foreign currency quick invoice is marked as paid at the same time, the payment will be created in the same currency and with the same exchange rate. The invoice will be marked as fully paid and cleared on the vendor account.
How to enter a VAT only bill or credit
- Go to Vendors > Enter a bill or Vendors > Vendor credit.
- Search for the vendor
- Enter the invoice or credit reference from the vendor document
- Enter details of the transaction.
- Deselect the Auto-calculate tax checkbox
- Enter the tax amount to be invoiced or credited, but leave the net amount as zero
- Select the relevant tax code
- Select the relevant account code
- Ensure the total is only the tax amount to be invoiced or credited
- To simultaneously create a purchase payment and mark this invoice or credit as paid, select the Mark as paid at the same time checkbox
- Click the Enter bill button to finish
The invoice or credit journal will be posted to accounts and the vendor account balance adjusted accordingly. The invoice or credit will be displayed on the vendor's payment allocation screen until it is paid or allocated.