Print checks and vouchers directly from Brightpearl for payments being made to your vendors.
All you need to get started is a check template. We've added a standard design, which you can edit millimeter by millimeter to create your own custom templates that will suit your check and voucher layout. You can create multiple templates so you should only need to do this once for each design.
Checks can be printed for any purchase payment (PP type transaction) made to a vendor. The vendor payment must first be entered in Brightpearl and then the checks can be printed on its own or as part of a batch of checks printed. Each printed check includes a voucher section listing details of the invoices being paid by the check.
Note that Brightpearl does not currently provide a way of producing a payment or check run to batch pay vendors, only a batch print option once the payments have been entered.
Foreign currency check printing
Brightpearl supports only base currency bank accounts and payments. Checks and vouchers will always be in your base currency.
Checks are always printed in the currency of the payment that was entered.
How to print checks & vouchers
- First, ensure that the payments have been recorded against the vendor(s).
- Go to Accounting > Vendor payments list.
- Filter the list by bank account and by currency.
- Select the checkbox next to each payment to be printed.
- Click the Print Checks button at the top of the list.
- In the pop-up window select the check template.
- Review the payments which will be printed. Note that any payments that have been entered without a check number will be listed first. If any of the check details need amending, such as entering a check number, click on the journal ID to go and make the changes.
- When you are happy click the Proceed to Print button.
- The checks are displayed as a pdf in your browser ready to be sent your the printer.
How to print a check to pay multiple invoices
Before a check can be printed you will need to have entered a payment into Brightpearl. The check will always be printed for the payment amount processed and the voucher will always include all the invoices that were marked as paid by that payment.
A payment for multiple invoices can be processed via the Vendor Payment Allocation screen. Learn more about processing vendor payments
Once a payment has been allocated against the invoices the check can be printed in the usual way, from Vendors > List payments.
A check template is used to indicate where each detail should be printed on your check and voucher paper.
The check template is made up of three sections:
Every check template starts with a default layout, which can be edited millimeter by millimeter in order to reposition each detail and to move the voucher sections vertically to place them above or below the check.
How to create a check template
- Go to Settings > Templates > Check templates.
- Click the Add template button.
- Enter a name for this template.
- Adjust the check items on the template to move them into the correct position for your check design. Items can be moved a number of mm left or right, and up or down from their current position.
- Move the voucher sections vertically to position them above or below the check.
- In the next section use the fields to move the detail within the vouchers sections.
- Use the margin adjustment to help fit the template to your printer.
- Use the preview window to review your changes and print a test page.
- Before leaving the page ensure that you have saved your changes.
Once the payment has been created in Brightpearl the check can be printed and reprinted via Vendors > Vendor payments.
If a check was damaged or misprinted and a new check number is needed you will probably also want to update the check number recorded against the payment in Brightpearl to ensure your records are up-to-date. This is done by editing the check number directly on the payment journal.
How to correct a check number
- Go to Accounting > Vendor payments.
- Locate the payment for which the check details need to be amended.
- Click the journal ID for the payment to view the accounting journal.
- Make the changes to the check number.
- Enter a reason for the modification to the journal.
- Save the changes.