This article explains what to do in store when a customer arrives to collect a BOPIS order.
Retrieving, fulfilling and closing the order
You will need to find the order in Brightpearl back office (the iPad POS app does not currently have access to BOPIS orders). It will have been set to the "Pickup In Store" shipping method, and will have the customer name on it. It will also be assigned to the warehouse associated with the store. A regular order search should find it easily, or you can set up a filter or report favorite.
The order will be marked as fully paid, and if you have inventory, it will be allocated to the order. You'll need to 'fulfil and ship' the order to remove the items from stock and complete the accounting process:
- Open the order.
- Hover over the Fulfil order link and click Fulfil and mark as shipped.
You'll also need to mark the order as invoiced to record the revenue in accounts and close the sale. This is often done via an end of day manual batch process, or using the Brightpearl automation app.
Printing a receipt
If the customer would like a printed receipt, you will need to have a regular printer connected to your network or iPad in order to print from the back office order screen.
- Open the order.
- Click Email/Print.
- Choose a suitable template and print.
Moving items to the correct store
If an order is created for a store, but there is not enough inventory on hand to be allocated to the order, you will either need to buy inventory, or transfer it from another store. You can either do this manually, or set up an automation rule using the Brightpearl automation app.
Manually moving items from another store
- Find all sales where shipping method is "Pickup in store" and Allocation status is "not allocated" or "part allocated".
- Identify the items on the part-allocated sales which are not in stock in the store's warehouse.
- Create warehouse transfers as appropriate. Ensure that the transfers can be identified as for BOPIS orders - perhaps using the reference field. Then when they are processed in the receiving store, inventory can be allocated to the BOPIS orders immediately.
- It would be wise to also add a note to the sales orders so that anyone else can see that inventory has been requested.
Using automation to move items from another store
Set up a rule to create warehouse transfers for orders that match:
- Shipping method ="Pickup in store"
- Allocation status = partially or none allocated
- Warehouse = store warehouse
You'll need a separate rule for each store where you allow in-store pickup.
Creating purchase orders for out-of-stock items
In a similar way to creating transfers, you can either do this manually, or using the automation app.
Use the 'back-to-back' or 'just in time' purchase order process.
- Select BOPIS orders for the store which are none or part-allocated, using the shipping method and warehouse filters on the sales list.
- Select the sales and choose batch purchase orders from the 'more actions' select list.
- Choose the appropriate options for these orders/products and place the purchase orders.
- Ensure there are suitable notes on both the sales order and purchase order.
Set up a rule as above for warehouse transfers, but create purchase order(s) instead.
Adding extra items
If a customer chooses to buy extra items when they collect their BOPIS order, you should create a new order directly in POS for the extra items, for a couple of reasons:
- The original BOPIS order matches one in BigCommerce and it's best to keep a 1:1 relationship.
- In order to report on additional up-sell as a result of pick up in store.
The customer will be available to choose from in POS.
Once the sale is completed, it will appear in back office under the POS channel. To identify the revenue as up-sell from BOPIS, we recommend you create a lead source for BOPIS and manually assign the lead source to the order in back office.
What happens when the customer doesn't turn up?
Sometimes, you'll get orders which are never collected. As part of your regular weekly tasks, find all BOPIS orders which have not been updated in the last week, and investigate.
If you need to cancel or refund the order, follow regular processes.