Brightpearl EPOS allows you to manage store credit. This means you can process credits and returns and leave the money on the customer account to be used to pay for a new sale now, or later.
To use the store credit features in EPOS you will need to set up a bank account and payment method for store credit, and you will need to add a record for each customer into Brightpearl - this an be done via EPOS as required.
Set up a store credit payment method
For store credit to operate correctly in Brightpearl you must set up a payment method with the code "CREDIT", and it must be assigned a bank account. This ensures all the correct order payment and accounting records are created which keep the customer account balance up to date and everything in balance.
We recommend that you create a separate contra bank account specifically for store credit and exchange transactions, rather than using a real bank account. These transactions won't represent the movement of money through your bank account, but Brightpearl does need to create accounting so using a contra account keeps the reconciliation of your actual bank account neat and simple.
Store credit balance calculation method
There are two methods available for calculating store credit in POS:
- Total of open sales credits less unpaid invoice balances
- Total of open sales credits only
Choose the method of calculating store credit in POS at Settings > Brightpearl Apps > Point of sale.
Giving a customer store credit
Store credit can be given to a customer via EPOS or Brightpearl back office. In each case, you must create the credit against the customer record.
- EPOS credits
Store credit are given by processing a return and leaving it unpaid.
- Back office
Store credit is given by adding a sales credit and leaving it unpaid - either using a sales credit return order, or a quick credit.
How to give a customer store credit in EPOS
- Create a new refund for the customer, either by looking up the original sale or by adding a new refund.
- Store credit can only be used when recorded against a customer record. If you haven't already looked up the customer, or they don't yet have a record, use the change customer link at the top of the screen to look up or add them now.
- Add the items to be returned, but not the new items the customer is exchanging them for.
- Click Close + Pay. You may be required to look up or add a customer record, depending on the EPOS settings in Brightpearl back office.
- To leave the balance as store credit do not enter any cash or card payment amount, just click Complete Refund. Only enter a cash or card amount if the customer is receiving money back as a refund.
- You will be asked whether you wish the put the balance on the customer account, click OK. A receipt will print for the returned item.
How to pay an EPOS sale using store credit
You must ensure that a payment method has been set up for store credit. See above.
- Look up the customer and begin a new sale.
The customer's account balance will be displayed as store credit (or money owed) on the right-hand side.
- Add the items to the new sale and click the Close + pay button.
- Use the store credit payment method to pay for the new item. Any remaining balance to pay can be taken by cash or card. Any remaining balance to refund can be entered as a negative amount (note that this process will require additional steps to be carried out in back office).
- Click Complete Sale and print the receipt.