Products, orders and contacts can be imported into Brightpearl using Microsoft Excel (.xls) files.
If a non-compatible file is used for importing data, an error will be displayed:
If you don't have access to Excel there are other ways to create compatible import files, such as using OpenOffice.
Using OpenOffice to format import files
OpenOffice can be used to create spreadsheets of data ready for importing to Brightpearl, but the file cannot simply be saved with the .xls file type for it be compatible. Excel uses hidden formatting when saving documents which indicate that it originated in Excel, and when these are missing Brightpearl will not successfully read the file. in order to make a compatible file in OpenOffice the document will need to have either:
- Been saved at least once in Microsoft Excel
- Downloaded from Brightpearl as a sample
- Or, download this example Excel document
How to use OpenOffice for imports
- Install OpenOffice
Visit this website to download the latest version of OpenOffice: www.openoffice.org/download. After you've downloaded the file, install it on your computer.
- Add a data map in Brightpearl at Settings > Data/import.
- Click Export sample to download the data map as an Excel file.
- When the download window is displayed, select to open the file with OpenOffice and click OK.
The file should now import successfully.
If you are still seeing an error, try entering your data into this Excel Document instead.