A back order indicates that some items ordered from your supplier have been delivered and other items willl arrive later.
Placing purchase order items on back order
Back orders are identified by using an order status. An order can be manually set as a back order by updating the order status and this can be done even where some items have already been received. The splitting to back order process is needed when a supplier has sent an invoice for some of the items on the order which then needs to be entered into Brightpearl. Those items not on the invoice will need to be moved onto a separate purchase order before the invoice is received.
How to place purchase order items on back order
- You will need an order status to represent purchase back orders; go to Settings > Purchases > Purchases statuses and add a status to represent back orders.
- Go to Settings > Purchases > Purchase settings and select the order status as your back order status.
- Search for and open the purchase order to be placed on back order.
- The whole order can be placed on back order by just changing the order status.
- If items need to be physically moved onto a separate order, select the rows which are to be split to a back order.
- Click the Split to Back Order button. All unreceived items on an order row will be carried to a separate order. The new order will automatically be set to your "back order" status defined in Purchase Settings.
- Review the changes that will take place and click Split to back order button to confirm.
- A new purchase order is created and the items are transferred leaving the remaining items on the original purchase order. The new order is automatically assigned the back order status defined at Settings > Purchases > Purchase settings .
- The two order references are displayed. Both orders will contain a cross-reference to the other order within the order notes and comments.