If a customer returns one or more of the items they bought, it can be for various reasons - perhaps the item was damaged or maybe they just changed their mind.
Regardless of how the physical stock is managed, a Sales Credit is required. A sales credit is used to process the received items, record store credit or a refund and importantly to reverse the original sale to correct sales revenue and tax values.
When the items are received back a decision will need to be made as to whether the item can be placed back into normal inventory, whether it has a reduced value and must be sold at a reduced price, whether it will be returned to the vendor (supplier) or maybe it will simply be written off as a loss.
Creating a sales credit
A sales credit can easily be created by cloning the relevant items from the original sales order.
A sales returns/credit allow you to:
- Record the refund to the customer to create the accounting and update the customer account balance. This will create a SR type journal.
- Post a credit note to create the accounting update the customer account balance. This will create an SC type journal and lock the sales credit record so that it cannot be edited.
- Receive returned goods and either add them back into stock, place them in quarantine or write them off. This will update the inventory status on the return and create the accounting for inventory using a JJ type journal.
- Print or email a sales credit document or RMA to the customer.
How to clone a sales order to a sales credit
- Search for and open the original sales order containing the items to be credited or returned. Alternatively, a credit can be started from Sales > New Credit.
- Select the lines that are being credited, or returned. Note that quantities can be edited directly on the credit later.
- Click the Clone to Sales Credit button just above the line items.
How to mark a return/credit as refunded
Note that marking a return/credit as refunded in Brightpearl will not move any money.
- Search for and open the sales return/credit.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Do refund.
- Select the bank account the money is going to be refunded from.
- Enter a reference and the amount that will be refunded to the customer.
- Click Allocate payment to finish.