This guide covers the recommended workflow for processing your goods out notes. Before printing, picking, packing and shipping you can filter your goods-out notes by various options, including:
- Product SKU
- Goods out note status (i.e. printed, picked, packed)
- Sales order status
- Sales channel
- Sort by location (when filtering by warehouse)
- Single product shipments
- Shipping method
Every order has a shipping status indicated by the shipping status icon.
The shipping status is automatically updated as goods-out notes are marked as shipped. The sales list can be filtered by shipping status to find orders still awaiting shipments.
The shipping status icons are as follows:
No stock tracked items are on the sale.
Stock tracked items are on the sale, but none are shipped.
Stock tracked items are on the sale, and some have been shipped.
Stock tracked items are on the sale and have all been shipped.
Fulfilling by creating a goods-out note
Fulfilling an order by creating a goods-out note:
- Hands the process over to your warehouse team
- Decreases 'on hand' inventory levels by allocating inventory to the sales order (if not already allocated)
All open goods-out notes can be seen under Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to ship.
There are several stages leading to shipping, but stages can be skipped to fit business operations:
This is the process of selecting items from an order to ship and creating a goods-out note (or drop-ship purchase order).
Multiple goods-out notes or drop-ship POs can be created for a single order allowing for split or partial shipments.
- Printing (optional)
Only relevant to goods-out notes. In this stage, the goods-out note detailing the contents of the shipment is printed, and the goods-out note is marked as printed.
- Picking (optional)
Only relevant to goods-out notes. This stage is used to indicate that the items have been collected from the warehouse shelves.
A picking list can be printed when collecting items for multiple orders in one go. The goods-out notes will be marked as picked.
- Packing (optional)
Only relevant to goods-out notes. This stage is used to indicate that the items have been packed into boxes and are ready to be shipped. At this stage you can enter the tracking reference if there is one. The goods-out notes will be marked as packed.
This is the final step and will complete the shipment.
When goods-out notes are shipped, the items are taken out of the stock and the order shipping status is updated. If cost of sales accounting is on, an accounting journal will be posted.
When drop-ship purchase orders are shipped, the order shipping status is updated, and an email can be sent to the customer to inform them that their items are on the way.
Printing goods-out notes
A goods-out note (or packing note) is the document which displays the shipment information, such as delivery address, billing address, items in the shipment, items to be shipped later. Often a goods-out note is placed inside the package for the customer, and if using labeled paper the delivery address can be peeled off and secured to the package. Alternatively the whole note can be folded and placed in a wallet on the side of the package used as the delivery label.
Goods-out notes can be printed for one shipment at a time or in batches of up to 500.
When the goods-out note is printed, it is marked and timestamped so that it isn't printed again and accidentally shipped again.
If a goods-out note is printed by mistake, or needs reprinting it can be marked as unprinted and then printing can be redone.
If required, you can print and pick your goods out notes with one click using the 'Print and pick' button. When clicked, one tab will produce packing notes ready for printing, another tab will show the picking list, and the selected goods out notes will be marked as both printed and picked. You can also 'Unprint and unpick' your orders with one click too in case you’ve made a mistake.
If you would like to use the 'Print and pick' feature and are using Google Chrome then you will need to amend your browser settings to allow for both popups to appear at the same time.
How to print a goods-out note from the order
- Search for and open the sales order.
- Click the goods-out note reference on the order row which is to be printed. If no link is available that means the items have not been fulfilled.
- The goods-out note is displayed using the default goods-out note template and branding as defined by the sales channel and its channel brand. If necessary, use the link at the top of the page to change the template.
- Click the Print button to send the document to the printer. Once printed it is time stamped and the button changes to Unprint.
How to print batches of goods-out notes
- Go to Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to print.
- Use the filters to display the goods-out notes for the relevant warehouse, shipping method, SKU or order if relevant. Specify how many goods-out notes should be displayed using the #results field (max 500) - this will be the number you will be able to select in one go.
- Select the goods-out notes to be printed and click the Print button. The goods-out notes will be loaded in a new browser window/tab.
- When all the goods-out notes have finished loading, the print option will become available. All the selected goods-out notes are automatically marked as printed after they are displayed.
Picking and picking lists
When processing multiple shipments, a picking list can be printed to consolidate the items on the selected goods-out notes into a handy summary for collecting the items from around the warehouse.
Printing a picking list will mark all the goods-out notes as picked and record the date/time.
If a goods-out note is marked as picked by mistake or needs repicking, it can be marked as unpicked and then picking can be redone.
How to print a picking list
- Go to Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to pick.
- Use the filters to display the goods-out notes for the relevant warehouse, shipping method, SKU or order if relevant. Specify how many goods-out notes should be listed using the #results field (max 500) - this will be the number of goods-out notes that can be included on a single picking list.
- Select the goods-out notes to be picked and click the Pick button. The picking list will be loaded in a new browser window/tab - items are listed in SKU order, or location order if locations are used. The goods-out notes are automatically marked as picked.
- Send the picking list to the printer.
Packing is used to confirm that the items have been picked and boxed up ready to be shipped. At this stage additional shipping information can be entered and confirmation email or text messages sent to the customer.
The shipping method used for a goods-out note is inherited from the original sales order unless changed at point of fulfillment. However, it can also be changed when marking the goods-out note as packed. This is allows late changes in the shipping method to be recorded, and it won't change the original shipping method assigned to the sales order so there will always be a record of what the customer originally requested.
It is the final shipping method assigned to the goods-out note which is uploaded to the sales channel when shipping is complete.
If the shipment is packed in a third-party shipping manager, the shipping manager will set the shipping method against the goods-out note in Brightpearl.
Weight and number of boxes
If the shipping method is set to require weight and number of boxes, then these details may be entered when marking the goods-out note as packed.
A tracking reference can be recorded when packing a goods-out note. When the goods-out note is marked as shipped the tracking reference will be uploaded to the sales channel.
If the goods-out note is packed in ShipStation or ShipWorks the tracking reference will be uploaded to the goods-out note in Brightpearl.
Shipping confirmation emails or text messages
When marking goods-out notes as packed an automatic email can be sent to the customer delivery email address to let them know that their order is being shipped. Note that many sales channels will automatically do this as well, so it may not be required in Brightpearl.
To send confirmation text messages you will need to integrate Clickatell with Brightpearl.
How to mark goods-out notes as packed
- Go to Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to pick.
- Use the filters to display the goods-out notes for the relevant warehouse, shipping method, SKU or order if relevant. Specify how many goods-out notes should be listed using the #results field (max 500) - this will be the number you will be able to select in one go.
- Select the goods-out notes to be packed and click the Pack button. The goods-out notes will be marked as packed and timestamped.
How to edit shipping details
- Go to Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to Ship.
- Use the filters to search for the relevant goods-out note.
- Select the goods-out note and click the Update shipping details button.
- Amend the shipping method, weight, boxes.
- To display a shipping label from an external shipping application, enter the shipping label URI. This will usually be used by an integrated shipping app.
- Save your changes.
Note: To edit the tracking reference the goods-out notes will need to marked as unpacked and then packed again.
The final stage a goods-out note passes through is shipping. This is the only step which cannot be reversed.
When a goods-out note is shipped, the following actions take place:
- Inventory is reduced by the quantity shipped
- 'Cost of sales' accounting entries are posted
- The sale's 'shipped' status is updated
- Integrated sales channels are updated
How to ship a goods-out note
- Search for and open the sales order.
- Click the goods-out note reference on the order row which is to be shipped. If no link is available that means the items have not been fulfilled.
- Click the Ship button to ship the goods. Once shipped, the goods-out note is time stamped.
How to ship goods-out notes in batches
- Go to Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to ship.
- Select the checkboxes next to the goods-out notes to be shipped.
- Click the Ship button.
The goods-out notes are marked as shipped and timestamped. The relevant sales order shipping statuses are updated and the sales channel updated with the shipment, shipping method and tracking reference, if applicable.