Fulfillment is the first stage of shipping or drop shipping an order. It is the process used to select some or all items on an order for shipping from one or more warehouses or suppliers.
Fulfillment will create a goods-out note per shipment from each warehouse. Inventory on a goods out note is allocated to the sales order and will reduce on-hand inventory.
Order fulfilment statuses
The fulfillment status of an order is recognized using the following icons:
Sale not fulfilled
Sale part fulfilled
Sale all fulfilled
Simple fulfilment for a single order
- Open up the sales order.
- From the Fulfil menu, click Fulfil and ship later.
- A goods out note will be created for the order's warehouse, where items are on hand. Any items not on hand will not be added to the goods out note.
Fulfilment for a batch of orders
- Select orders from the sales list.
- Click Fulfil.
- Choose a new order status (which will be applied only to orders where a goods out note is successfully created).
- Choose to override shipping method or warehouse.
- Click Fulfil.
Split shipments / partial fulfilment
A single order can be dispatched in multiple shipments. This allows:
- Items currently in stock to be dispatched now and any out of stock items to be sent later.
- Shipments to be sent from multiple warehouses.
- Multiple shipments which are invoiced separately (the order must also be split using the back order process).
How to part fulfil an order
- Search for and open the order.
- Hover over Fulfill order at the top of the page and select their third option Partial/Advanced fulfill.
- Specify how many items are to be sent in this first shipment. Enter zero if none are to be sent.
- Select the warehouse the items are to be shipped from (each different warehouse selected creates a separate shipment/goods-out note).
- (Optional) Select a shipping method to assign to the goods-out notes, or leave it blank to apply the order shipping method.
- Click the Create Purchase Orders / Goods notes button. The goods-out note will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Click the order reference at the top of the page to return to the order and see that it is partially fulfilled.
Fulfilment is a process that many merchants automate. Have a look at the automation documentation and training courses for more information.