A back order indicates that some items ordered by your customer have been delivered and other items willl be shipped later.
Brightpearl allows multiple shipments per sales order, so physically moving items onto a separate order is only needed when an invoice is to be raised for just some of the items.
Placing sales order items on back order
Back orders are identified by using an order status. An order can be manually set as a back order by updating the order status and this can be done even where some items have already been shipped. Brightpearl supports multiple shipments per sales order so the split to back order process is used when a you need to send an invoice to the customer for only some of the items, for example those items which have been shipped. Those items not to be invoiced will need to be moved onto a separate sales order before the invoice is raised.
Creating a back order will generate another order ID number and transfer all unallocated items off the original and onto the new order. The two orders will be cross-referenced in the order notes and comments.
How to split items to back order
Brightpearl handles multiple shipments per sales order, so splitting items to a back order is only needed where you need to invoice the customer for some of the items.
- You will need an order status to represent sales back orders, go to Settings > Sales > Sales statuses and add a status to represent back orders.
- Go to Settings > Sales > Sales Workflow and select the order status as your back order status.
- Search for and open the sales order to be placed on back order.
- The whole order can be placed on back order by just changing the order status.
- If items need to be physically moved onto a separate order so that an invoice can be raised for the rest of the order, select the rows which are to be split to a back order.
- Click the Split to Back Order button. All items with inventory allocated will be carried to a separate order.
- Review the changes that will take place and click Split to back order button to confirm. Note that if the original sales order has already been cloned to a purchase order (back-to-back ordering), the inventory for any back orders created will not be automatically allocated, it will need to be done manually.
- Leave the Maintain price of original order box unchecked, this feature is no longer needed now that Brightpearl handles multiple shipments per order, replacing the need to split orders at all in some cases. If you check this box it will move the line item with a zero value and retain the full value on the original order.
- A new sales order is created and the items are transferred leaving the remaining items on the original sales order. The new order is automatically assigned the back order status defined at Settings > Sales > Sales workflow .
- The two order references are displayed. Both orders will contain a cross-reference to the other order within the order notes and comments.