Every product must be assigned a brand. Brands can be used for grouping and reporting on products - it is a filter available on various reports, including Sales by Product and Sales by Channel.
As some products may not be branded, it is recommended that you also retain the existing brand of “Other”.
View, add, edit and delete brands at Settings > Products / Inventory > Brands .
Creating brands via an import
Brands can also be created when importing products via Settings > Data / Import > Import Products .
How to create a data map for importing products
- Go to Settings > Data / Import > Import Products .
- Click the Add a new data map button.
- Enter a name for the data map.
- The available fields that can be imported are listed in the right-hand column. Click the + icon on any field to add it to the data map.
- All items included on the data map are listed on the left-hand side of the pop-up window. Ensure they are listed in the same order as the columns in the spreadsheet by dragging them into position.
- Remove unrequired fields by clicking the - icon.
- Price lists must already exist to be added onto data maps. They will be shown as "Price (PRICELISTCODE)".
Note : We are currently aware of an issue where the "Cost" and "Retail" price list which come as standard are displaying incorrectly - this will prevent the import from working. Add an save the re-open and edit the data map until they are correctly displayed as "Price (COST)" and "Price (RETAIL)".
- Existing product custom fields can be added to data maps and will always display as "PCF_CUSTOMFIELDCODE".
- Product options (e.g. color, size) are used for importing variants and must already exsit to be added onto data maps. Note that option values can be created as part of the import.
- Click Save to add the data map.
How to import products
- Go to Settings > Data / Import > Import products .
- Create a data map to read your file. When creating new products the following fields are required:
- SKU - every product in Brightpearl needs a unique SKU. Product SKUs should match across all your systems and sales channels.
- Manage stock - set this to yes to make products stock tracked.
- Name - this is the item name. It should be the same when creating variants.
- Brand - every product requires a brand. If this doesn't exist in Brightpearl already it can be created as part of the import.
- Category - every product requires a category. If it doesn't exist in Brightpearl already it can be created as part of the import.
- Ensure the data map fields are in the same order as in the columns in the file.
- Once the data map is saved, click the Import link next to it.
- The data map is displayed on the left-hand side of the import screen. Ensure the import file has the same columns in the same order. The first column will be used to match the products.
If& the data map needs editing, click the Edit this data map link in the top right-hand corner.
- Make the following selections:
- Import values
Leave this unchecked to begin with and test everything is fine with the file.
- Email me a report
Check this box and a report of what happens with the import will be emailed to you.
- Skip items not found using match column A
When creating new products ensure this is unchecked.
- Create missing option values (displayed only when option fields are included)
If the import file contains new option values for variants they will be created as part of the import.
- Create missing brands (displayed only when "brand" field is included)
If the import file contains brand names which are new then this box can be checked to create them. If all brands should already exist in Brightpearl leave it unchecked. Beware that the import will fail if there are brands in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt brands in the file.
- Category mode (displayed only when "category" field is included)
When importing new products they will always be added to the category, since there is nothing to move.
- Create missing categories (displayed only when "category" field is included)
This can be checked to create new categories where they don't yet exist in Brightpearl. Alternatively, leave it unchecked to prevent new categories from being created. Beware that the import will fail if there are categories in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt categories in the file.
- Update only; don't create any new products
When creating new products unsure this is unchecked.
- Select seasons to add
If you are using seasons select to which season the products should be added. Hold down the control key and select multiple seasons if required.
- Click the Browse button and find the file to be imported.
- Click the Upload XLS file button to attempt the import. Messages will be displayed at the top of the screen to report what has happened.
Important things to remember:
- Brands can't be deleted if they are linked with products. You will need to reassign the products to another brand before trying to delete
- If you delete a brand that is connected to an external sales channel; then the link between the brand and sales channel will also be removed