Credits notes are used for recording money owed back to you from suppliers. Brightpearl provides two methods of raising a credit:
- A purchase credit is created like an order and provides a visible record of the credit and the option to print a credit note document
- A supplier credit creates only the accounting journal and provides no other record or option to print a credit note document
Note that is is not possible to clone a purchase order to a purchase credit, or to add stock-tracked items to a purchase credit.
Purchase returns / credits
Purchase returns/credits allow you to:
- Record a refund received from the supplier to create the accounting and update the supplier account balance. This will create a PP type journal.
- Post a credit note to create the accounting update the supplier account balance. This will create an PC type journal and lock the purchase credit record so that it cannot be edited.
- Print or email purchase credit document to the supplier
Note that is is not possible to add stock-tracked items to a purchase credit, a stock correction must be used if items are to be returned to the supplier.
How to record supplier refund
- First of all a credit will need to have been raised against the supplier - either as a purchase credit or a supplier credit.
- Search for and open the supplier record and navigate to the Payment Allocation screen via the Financials info box.
- Find the credit in the list and click Pay now to enter the full balance, alternatively, manually type in the amount refunded against the credit.
- Select a bank account and enter the payment reference .
- Check the total at the bottom is what you were refunded.
- Click Allocate payment button to post the accounting and mark the credit as refunded.
Supplier credits can be used to create the accounting for a credit received from a supplier. It creates no visible returns record and does not allow for printing of a credit document. It will create a PC type accounting journal and update the supplier account with the credit balance.
How to enter a supplier credit
- Got to Suppliers > Supplier credit .
- Search for the supplier (only primary suppliers contacts are searchable) or add a new supplier.
- Select the tax date and due date. Automatically calculate a due date by clicking the 30 Days button.
- Enter the credit reference .
- Enter any further details .
- Enter the net amount.
- Select the correct tax code to calculate the tax and total values.
- Select the nominal code the charge relates to (e.g. Rent).
- To add more rows using a different tax rate or nominal code click the Add row button and then enter the details.
- To simultaneously create a bank payment and mark this invoice/credit as paid, select the Mark as paid at the same time checkbox.
- Click the Extra Options link if you want to associate this invoice with a department, project or lead source.
- Click the Enter Credit button.