A warehouse or inventory transfer is used to ship items from one warehouse to another. They are used only when multi-warehousing is active and more than one warehouse is being managed in Brightpearl.
A warehouse transfer is designed to replicate the physical processes involved with transferring items from one warehouse to another using several steps:
- Build an inventory transfer list
Create a list of items and the number to be transferred. The items need to be available in on hand inventory to be transferred. Adding items onto a transfer does not allocate it or prevent it from being sold to a customer.
- Process the inventory transfer
At this stage the items are allocated to the transfer and removed from on hand inventory. This means that they are no longer considered available for selling. A goods-out note is created which falls into the same shipping process as sales orders - printing, picking, packing and shipping.
- Ship the goods-out note
The goods-out note should be picked up with all other shipments to be made. Once the goods-out note for the transfer is marked as shipped the items are removed from stock in the originating warehouse. At this point the items are considered "in transit" and not in stock at either warehouse, these items can be seen at Products > In transit.
- Receive the inventory at destination warehouse
When the items arrive at the destination warehouse the staff can receive them into stock from the in transit report. This will increase the inventory at the destination warehouse. The transfer is complete.
Related how to guides - Inventory Transfers (Warehouse-to-Warehouse)
How to transfer inventory (warehouse-to-warehouse)
1. Build an inventory transfer list
- Go to Products > Stock transfers.
- Use the Add a new inventory transfer region on the right-hand side to choose From and To which warehouse the transfer will be made, then click New Inventory transfer.
- In the Add field, begin typing the name of the item to be transferred, select it from the list.
- Enter the quantity to be transferred and click Add item.
- Continue to add items to the list.
- You can still update the warehouses in this screen if you need to. You can leave this screen and your list will be saved for later.
When you are finished creating your transfer list, go on to process your transfer...
2. Process the inventory transfer (create a goods-out note)
This step allows you to see what you have on hand for each item (at each location within the from warehouse). You can confirm how many you want to transfer and from where.
- If you are picking up a previous transfer, go to Products > Stock transfers and click the View link next to the transfer. If you are continuing from above you will already be in this screen.
- Once you have finished adding items to your transfer list, click the Process this transfer button.
- Each item is listed with the on hand quantity available for transferring. Confirm the quantities to transfer by entering the amount in the boxes. The number above indicates how many you specified.
Note : It is not possible to part transfer a line, you will need to go back and edit your transfer list. Click the ID at the top.
3. Ship the goods-out note (goods out)
- If you are picking up a previous transfer, go to Products > Stock transfers. If you are continuing from above you will already be in this screen.
- Click the Print link next to the transfer. The goods-out note is displayed.
- Process the goods-out note through the pick, pack and ship process.
As soon as the goods-out note is marked as "shipped", the items will be removed from inventory. They will remain "in transit" until they are received into the destination warehouse.
You can only transfer items that you have "on hand", since the allocated items have been allocated specifically from a location within your warehouse.
4. Receive the inventory at destination warehouse (goods-in)
Until the items are booked in at the destination warehouse they are considered "in transit" and can be seen on the Stock in transit report. When they arrive at the destination warehouse the staff can confirm that they have been received and move them into stock, either one at a time, or in batches:
Go to Products > Stock in Transit , where you will see your transferred items waiting to be received.
Receive individual items:
- Click the Actions icon at the end of the row.
- Select the relevant warehouse location (if you are using locations) and click Move item to transfer into inventory.
Receive batches of items:
- Filter the list to the warehouse into which the items are being received.
- Tick the checkbox next to each item to be received into stock.
- Click the Release items button above the list.
- Items will be release into the default product location, if you are not using warehouse locations you don't need to worry about this bit. If you want to receive any items into a different location you will have to do it on a product-by-product basis as above.
- Click the Receive goods button.
As soon as the items are marked as received the inventory levels are increased and the items are removed from the list.