A warehouse or inventory transfer is used to ship items from one warehouse to another. They are used only when multi-warehousing is active and more than one warehouse is being managed in Brightpearl.
A warehouse transfer is designed to replicate the physical processes involved with transferring items from one warehouse to another using several steps:
- Build an inventory transfer list
Create a list of items and the number to be transferred. The items need to be available in on hand inventory to be transferred. Adding items onto a transfer does not allocate it or prevent it from being sold to a customer.
- Process the inventory transfer
At this stage the items are allocated to the transfer and removed from on hand inventory. This means that they are no longer considered available for selling. A goods-out note is created which falls into the same shipping process as sales orders - printing, picking, packing and shipping.
- Ship the goods-out note
The goods-out note should be picked up with all other shipments to be made. Once the goods-out note for the transfer is marked as shipped the items are removed from stock in the originating warehouse. At this point the items are considered "in transit" and not in stock at either warehouse, these items can be seen at Products > In transit.
- Receive the inventory at destination warehouse
When the items arrive at the destination warehouse the staff can receive them into stock from the in transit report. This will increase the inventory at the destination warehouse. The transfer is complete.
How to do a warehouse transfer
- Go to Products > Inventory transfers.
- Any existing open and processed transfers are listed. Click the Add a new inventory transfer button and then specify from where the items are being shipped and where they are being sent to. Enter an internal reference for the transfer so it can be easily identified.
- Click Save to continue.
- Using the search options on the left hand side begin adding items to the transfer. The transfer is automatically saved allowing you to leave and return to the transfer to complete it later. At this stage no inventory is transferred or reserved.
- Once all the products have been added to the transfer and you are ready to proceed, click the Process button.
- The next screen displays all the items selected for transfer. If items are split across multiple warehouse locations you will need to specify which location the items are to be taken from by entering the quantity. Specify the shipping method and if the items are to be shipped on a specific date enter a release date.
- Once all rows are green the transfer is ready to progress. Click the Process button to confirm the transfer and create a goods-out note. At this stage no items have been transferred, they are still in the origin warehouse but are allocated to the transfer and therefore not available to sell. The goods-out note falls into the same goods-out process as goods-out notes from sales orders.
- The transfer list is displayed. At this stage the goods-out note will flow through to the warehouse goods-out process at Sales > Goods-out notes > Due to ship where it will be processed through the print, pick, pack and ship workflow. To process the goods-out immediately click on the Print action next to the transfer.
- The transfer goods-out note is displayed. To remove the items from the origin warehouse click Ship. This will place the stock into an in-transit status - it is no longer in stock at the origin warehouse, but it hasn't yet been received into the destination warehouse. It is still considered an asset of the company so no accounting entries are created.
- The final stage of the transfer is to receive it into the destination warehouse. Go to Products > Inventory in transit.
- Filter by the destination warehouse to see all items expected to arrive. Use the filters to search for the transfer ID or search for specific products.
- Select the items to receive into stock. To part receive a transfer quantity, or to specify the warehouse locations to receive the items into filter by transfer ID and click Release inventory. To receive all items and use default locations click Release items.
- Click to receive the items into stock at the destination warehouse. The transfer is not complete. The items are added to on hand stock at the destination warehouse.
Editing a warehouse transfer
A warehouse transfer can be edited as long as it hasn't been processed to a goods-out note. If a goods-out has been generated but is not yet shipped it can be reversed through print, pick, pack and then deleted in order to re-open the transfer to changes.