The import process allows products to be created or amended using Excel spreadsheets. It is possible to create:
- Stock tracked and non-stock tracked products
- Product variants with up to 4 dimensions - creating new option values where required (e.g. red, blue, green)
- Product brands and top-level categories which don't already exist
First, you'll need to create a data map where the columns match your Excel spreadsheet. Then, import the file selecting from various options. The best way to understand the process is to watch a video:
How to import products
- Go to Settings > Data / Import > Import products.
- Create a data map to read your file. When creating new products the following fields are required:
SKU - every product in Brightpearl needs a unique SKU. Product SKUs should match across all your systems and sales channels.
Manage stock - set this to yes to make products stock tracked.
Name - this is the item name. It should be the same when creating variants.
Brand - every product requires a brand. If this doesn't exist in Brightpearl already it can be created as part of the import.
Category - every product requires a category. If it doesn't exist in Brightpearl already it can be created as part of the import.
- Ensure the data map fields are in the same order as in the columns in the file.
- Once the data map is saved, click the Import link next to it.
- The data map is displayed on the left-hand side of the import screen. Ensure the import file has the same columns in the same order. The first column will be used to match the products.
If& the data map needs editing, click the Edit this data map link in the top right-hand corner.
- Make the following selections:
Import values - leave this unchecked to begin with and test everything is fine with the file.
Email me a report - check this box and a report of what happens with the import will be emailed to you.
Skip items not found using match column A - when creating new products ensure this is unchecked.
Create missing option values (displayed only when option fields are included) - if the import file contains new option values for variants they will be created as part of the import.
Create missing brands (displayed only when "brand" field is included) - if the import file contains brand names which are new then this box can be checked to create them. If all brands should already exist in Brightpearl leave it unchecked. Beware that the import will fail if there are brands in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt brands in the file.
Category mode (displayed only when "category" field is included) - when importing new products they will always be added to the category, since there is nothing to move.
Create missing categories (displayed only when "category" field is included) - this can be checked to create new categories where they don't yet exist in Brightpearl. Alternatively, leave it unchecked to prevent new categories from being created. Beware that the import will fail if there are categories in the file which are not in Brightpearl. This may indicate misspelt categories in the file.
Update only; don't create any new products - when creating new products unsure this is unchecked.
Select seasons to add - if you are using seasons select to which season the products should be added. Hold down the control key and select multiple seasons if required.
- Click the Browse button and find the file to be imported.
- Click the Upload XLS file button to attempt the import. Messages will be displayed at the top of the screen to report what has happened.
How to create a data map
- Go to Settings > Data / Import > Import Products.
- Click the Add a new data map button.
- Enter a name for the data map.
- The available fields that can be imported are listed in the right-hand column. Click the + icon on any field to add it to the data map.
- All items included on the data map are listed on the left-hand side of the pop-up window. Ensure they are listed in the same order as the columns in the spreadsheet by dragging them into position.
- Remove unrequired fields by clicking the - icon.
- Price lists must already exist to be added onto data maps. They will be shown as "Price (PRICELISTCODE)".
- Existing product custom fields can be added to data maps and will always display as "PCF_CUSTOMFIELDCODE".
- Product options (e.g. color, size) are used for importing variants and must already exsit to be added onto data maps. Note that option values can be created as part of the import.
- Click Save to add the data map.
Dealing with import errors
On attempting the import you will be presented with a red error message box if there any problems with the data file. The errors should give you some indication of what problems were encountered so that they can be corrected and you can reattempt the import. Check through the following common issues:
- Are there any cells below your data that contain spaces?
If for some reason cells in the rows below your data think they have data in Brightpearl will try to read and import it. Highlight a number of rows below your data and delete it just to make sure.
- Do the column headings match (order and name) to your data map?
In your data map listing click the Edit link to make any changes or you can move the columns around in your Excel file. Export a sample of your data map to check the column names.
- Is your spreadsheet saved as the correct file type?
It must be saved as an XLS file, which is Excel 97-2003.