All documentation in this document relates to a previous version of the Brightpearl Magento extension which will be deactivated by September 2017. If you are using this previous version, please contact us about upgrading.
For help with the current extension, please see the Magento section.
Brightpearl is able to manage several prices for each product on Magento - the main product price as well as multiple prices for different customer groups, known as tier pricing in Magento.
Important: Prices are always uploaded as exclusive of tax (net).
All prices are uploaded from Brightpearl as net of tax (excluding tax). This allows Magento tax calculations to be applied for displaying the prices on the website.
It is important that Magento is set to receive net prices so that item prices display correctly.
Set "Magento Catalog prices" to "Excluding tax" at System > Configuration > Sales > Tax > Calculation settings .
Decide whether prices display on the website as inclusive or exclusive of tax in the same screen under Price Display Settings .
Main product price for a single item
The main product price uploaded to Magento is the price of a single item in Brightpearl. This price is taken from the price list which is assigned to the Magento sales channel. This price list should always be the same currency as the base currency used in Magento, which must also always be the same as the base currency in Brightpearl.
The main price list can be viewed or changed on the Magento sales channel at Settings > Company > Channels .
Changing the price list won't immediately update the prices on Magento. The new prices will be uploaded on the next price sync.
When prices are uploaded
A price update is triggered on a product in Magento each time...
- A product import is done (updates are made for products included on the import file regardless of whether any changes were made)
- A price list import is done for the synchronized price list (updates are made for products included on the import file regardless of whether any changes were made)
- A product is re-saved (regardless of whether any changes have been made)
- A product is disconnected and reconnected to Magento with or without any updates being made
Customer group prices
Price lists are used in Brightpearl for offering different pricing depending on what type of customer the item is sold to, for example, retail or wholesale. Magento use customer groups in the same way.
By connecting Brightpearl price lists to Magento customer groups it's possible to control multiple prices for each product from within Brightpearl. Each separate price list connected will display as a tier price on the product in Magento.
Volume discounts / price breaks
In Brightpearl price breaks are used in order to specify a different price for products when a customer buys over a certain quantity of that item. A T-shirt, for example, might have an individual price of £5.99, but if you buy 2 the individual price becomes £4.99, therefore applying a discount of £1.
Magento also supports volume discounts by using tier pricing and customer groups.
In order to upload volume discounts from Brightpearl the price list must be connected to a customer group in Magento.
Each price break uploaded to Magento will display as a tier price on the product in Magento.
Related how to guides - Price management & customer groups in Magento
How to create a new price list
- Go to Setup > Products > Price lists .
- Click the Add a new price list button.
- Enter a name for the price list.
- Enter a code for the list.
- Select the currency of the prices on the list. Currencies are added at Setup > Company > Currencies .
- Choose whether prices are displayed in Brightpearl as inclusive or exclusive of tax.
- Set the list as a supplier price list (cost prices for purchases) or a customer price list (sell prices for sales).
- Click Save .
How to create a customer group in Magento
For each price list you are going to synchronize with your Magento Webstore, you will need an equivalent Customer Group created in Magento. Follow these steps to create a Customer Group:
- In Magento, go to Customers > Customer Groups .
- Any existing groups will be listed. Click on one to edit or add a new one with the Add New button.
- Enter the Group Name, it would be a good idea to use something similar to the associated price list in Brightpearl.
- Select the Tax Class. This defines the tax that will be applied to the price in Magento.
Note : All prices from Brightpearl are synchronized as net values.
- Save the customer group.
How to connect price lists to Magento customer groups
- In Brightpearl, go to Settings > Products / Inventory > Price lists .
- Click the Download data now button to open the connection between Brightpearl and Magento. This may take a few minutes. Click the refresh link to check if the process has completed. When it is completed the download button will re-appear and a time stamp will indicate the connection was made.
- Click the Connect link next to your price list.
- In the pop-up window click the Connect to Magento link to search for matching customer groups in Magento.
- The customer groups from Magento will be listed. Click the Connect link next to the result you want to connect to.
- Continue to connect your prices lists in this way.