Lead sources are to help you see where your sales and contacts are coming from. Examples may be:
- Word of mouth
- Search engine
- Existing customer
- Email marketing
- Press articles
Lead sources are usually assigned to a customer, and then all subsequent sales for that customer will inherit the lead source. Lead sources can also be assigned directly to a sale (or credit) if the source for that particular order was different.
Creating lead sources
How to create a new lead source
- Go to Marketing > Lead Sources.
- Click Add lead source.
- Enter a name for the source.
- If this is a sub-category of another source select the parent lead source ID.
- Make the source active.
- The checkout option is now obsolete.
- Click Save.
Assigning lead sources to contacts
Lead courses can be assigned to both contacts and orders.
- An order will inherit the lead source from the contact it is created against.
- Contacts created via a SmartForm can be automatically assigned a lead source.
- Orders can be manually assigned a lead source directly or in batches from the sales list.
- Lead sources will automatically filter through to any accounting transactions created for those orders.
How to import lead sources against contacts
- When updating contacts you only need one column in the file: Contact ID
Note that you will need to update the column header in the file from "Contact" to "Contact ID".
All the other columns in the exported Excel file can be deleted.
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import Customers/Suppliers
- Add a data map and add the same two columns (note that the lead source is chosen at the point of import)
- Use the data map to import the file choosing a lead source from the select menu.
Lead sources and sales channels
Sales channels are often a source of new customers, who may then return to place another order via a different way in the future. If the customer is assigned the correct lead source after their first purchase, then subsequent repeat-business reporting can be more insightful if you choose to compare original lead source against order channel.
If the sales channel you are using does not automatically set the lead source for a new customer, then you can run a batch process on a regular basis:
- Create a temporary customer tag for 'assign lead source'. We'll delete it afterwards.
- Filter the sales list to show only sales from a certain channel.
- Choose to Add contact tag from the 'more actions' menu in the batch process.
- Add the contact tag.
- Show all contacts with this tag, and then export the list.
- Import the list of contacts as described above in "how to import lead sources against contacts".
- Delete the temporary tag you created.
Reporting by lead source
Each accounting transaction (e.g. bank payments, purchase invoices) can be allocated to a lead source. In a similar fashion, any sales or purchase orders can be assigned to a lead source using the drop-down menu in the "other/payment info" tab. This allows you to accurately track your spend on each lead source and the resulting business that it generates.
The Profit and Loss report can be filtered by lead source.
Editing or deleting a lead source
It is not possible to edit a lead source, but they can be deleted, so to change a lead source we suggest exporting the contacts as a record then deleting the lead source, adding a new one and then updating those contacts to have the new lead source.
How to delete lead sources
- Go to Marketing > Lead sources.
- Delete the lead source and then re-add it with the corrected name.