Lead sources are designed so that you can see where your sales and contacts are coming from. Examples may be:
- Word of mouth
- Search engine
- Existing customer
- Email marketing
- Press articles
You can choose Lead Sources manually within Brightpearl admin, or if contacts are created from a website or SmartForm, Brightpearl can do it automatically for you.
Once a contact has a lead source, all sales for that contact will inherit the same lead source. You can also assign lead sources to your sales orders in bulk via the sales batch action dropdown at the top of your sales listing screen. When those sales are invoiced, the accounting journals will use the lead source on the sale.
Allocating Costs & Revenues
Each accounting transaction (e.g. bank payments, purchase invoices) can be allocated to a lead source. In a similar fashion, any sales or purchase orders can be assigned to a lead source using the drop-down menu in the "other/payment info" tab. This allows you to accurately track your spend on each lead source and the resulting business that it generates.
The Profit and Loss report can be filtered by Lead source.
Related how to guides - Lead sources
How to create a new lead source
- Go to Marketing > Lead Sources .
- Click Add lead source .
- Enter a name for the source.
- If this is a sub-category of another source select the parent lead source ID.
- Make the source active.
- The checkout option is now obsolete.
- Click Save .
How to import lead sources against contacts
- When updating contacts you only need one column in the file:
Note that you will need to update the column header in the file from "Contact" to "Contact ID".
All the other columns in the exported Excel file can be deleted.
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import Customers/Suppliers
- Add a data map and add the same two columns (note that the lead source is chosen at the point of import)
- Use the data map to import the file and update contacts with a lead source
How to edit / delete lead sources
It is not possible to edit a lead source, but they can be deleted. However, deleting will cause all the contacts to be reset and they will have a blank lead source. If you want to update a lead source you should first export the contacts, then delete and recreate the lead source before finally importing the contacts with the new lead source.
Export customers with lead source information:
- Click on your username at the top of the screen and select My Preferences.
- Ensure that "Lead source" is added to the contact screen columns.
- Now go to Customers > List all customers .
- Filter the listing to the lead source you will be changing.
- Export the full list to Excel and save the file.
Delete and re-add the lead source
- Go to Marketing > Lead sources .
- Delete the lead source and then re-add it with the corrected name.