Lead sources help you see where your sales and contacts are coming from.
Examples may be:
- Word of mouth
- Search engine
- Existing customer
- Email marketing
- Press articles
Lead sources are usually assigned to a customer, and then all subsequent sales for that customer will inherit the lead source. Lead sources can also be assigned directly to a sale (or credit) if the source for that particular order was different.
Creating lead sources
How to create a new lead source
- Go to Marketing > Lead Sources.
- Click Add lead source.
- Enter a name for the source.
- If this is a sub-category of another source, select the parent lead source.
- Make the source active.
- Click Save.
Assigning lead sources to contacts
Lead courses can be assigned to both contacts and orders.
- An order will inherit the lead source from the contact it is created against.
- Contacts created via a Smartform can be automatically assigned a lead source.
- Orders can be manually assigned a lead source directly on the order, or in batches from the sales list.
- Lead sources will automatically filter through to any accounting transactions created for those orders.
How to import lead sources against contacts
- Go to Settings > Data/Import > Import Customers/Suppliers
- Add a data map with just a single column for "Contact ID"
- Use the data map to import the file, choosing:
- To update contacts where a match is found
- A lead source from the select menu
- Upload the file
Lead sources and sales channels
Sales channels are often a source of new customers, who may then return to place another order via a different way in the future.
If the customer is assigned the correct lead source after their first purchase, then subsequent repeat-business reporting can be more insightful if you choose to compare the original lead source against their order channels.
If the sales channel you are using does not automatically set the lead source for a new customer, then you can run a batch process on a regular basis:
- Create a temporary customer tag for "Assign lead source".
- Filter the sales list to show only sales from a certain channel.
- Choose to Add contact tag from the "More actions" menu in on the sales list.
- Add the contact tag from the first step.
- Show all contacts with this tag, and then export the list.
- Import the list of contacts as described above.
- Delete the temporary tag you created.
Reporting by lead source
Any accounting transaction that affects the income statement (e.g. bank payments, sales invoices) can be allocated to a lead source.
In a similar fashion, any sales or purchase order can be assigned to a lead source. This allows you to accurately track your spend on each lead source and the resulting business that it generates.
The income statement (profit and loss) report can be filtered by lead source.
Editing or deleting a lead source
It is not possible to edit a lead source, but they can be deleted, so to change a lead source, it's advised to:
- Export the contacts using the lead source
- Delete the lead source
- Add a new one with the changes you need to implement
- Update those contacts to have the new lead source
How to delete lead sources
- Go to Marketing > Lead sources.
- Click the trash can icon next to the lead source to delete it.