Customers can be added and edited in Brightpearl using various methods:
- Manual entry - Customers can be created and edited one-by-one directly within Brightpearl. It is also possible to make batch updates to various details on existing customer records.
- Imported from spreadsheet - New customers can be created or existing contacts can be updated by importing a spreadsheet. New customer records can also be created when orders are imported from a spreadsheet.
- Online - Customers are created when orders download from integrated sales channels.
- SmartForms - SmartForms, such as an enquiry form, can be embedded into a website for capturing customer details, this will create a contact record in Brightpearl.
- POS - Customers can be manually added through POS.
- API - Customers can be created over API.
View, add and change contact information for the customer, such as email addresses and phone numbers. Most fields are self explanatory, but some need a little more explanation:
Contact type (supplier / customer) can be changed until the contact has financial history.
The trade status is useful for reporting on whether your customers are Retail or Trade customers - it's used only for filtering purposes and has no functional impact.
You can assign a contact owner (staff member), if a particular sales person or account manager owns this customer. Typically this is used in conjunction with the sales setting "auto-assign to contact owner" to produce commission reports. If a note is added to a contact, an email is also sent to the contact owner to keep them updated.
The eBay username is populated automatically when a customer is created for a sale downloaded from eBay.
The contact status is used for managing where the customer is in the sales pipeline. It's a useful filter when working with lists of contacts. Contact statuses can be assigned 'reminder days' (eg 7). If a customer has not been contacted or has not placed an order within a certain number of days, they will appear in the notifications on the left of the screen:
The lead source helps you monitor where your customers are coming from and therefore which marketing campaigns have been most effective. Any sales or purchases created for a contact will inherit their lead source ... which can be changed on a per-order basis if required.
The receive newsletter setting is important for ensuring customers are not contacted when they don't wish to be. When this is "no", the contact is excluded from emails sent using the batch process from the contact list.
The memo field is a text box for you to put any further miscellaneous information into. It's not used elsewhere in the system.
You can use the popup message field to set urgent messages for contacts which will appear when placing an order for them or whenever the contact is viewed or payment is taken (back office only). Perhaps you wanted to put their account on stop - it's a good way to ensure the user gets the note.
This is where financial information is recorded for the customer such as the price list the use, tax code, currency and nominal code for recording sales revenue. It's possible to assign the customer credit terms and limits and blanket discount as well as record their bank details.
The price list set here will be used on any orders for this contact. It can be changed on a per order basis, after the order is created. Typically suppliers are a 'cost' price list and customers are set a 'sell' price list.
The currency is used for any orders that are created for the contact. The currency cannot be changed later on the order. A contact can have orders in any currency, so you can change this at any time for subsequent orders.
Tax codes and nominal codes set on a contact usually override location or product tax codes when creating orders and invoices. Both are optional.
Company number and Tax number are used to store any company registration or tax registration numbers and may be relevant for both suppliers and B2B customers.
The accounts email address is used for sending invoices, statements and invoice reminders. If the contact is part of a company, then the accounts email address of the primary contact will be used, regardless of what is set in here.
The default invoice template can be set on a per-customer basis, which overrides the channel brand settings.
Custom fields tab
Custom fields are used for creating additional fields on customer records. These are useful for storing more information which can be used for searching and reporting. Custom fields can also be added to document templates such as invoices and delivery notes.
This is where you can see a full chronological history of activity on the customer account. Entries will often provide a link to the related documentation in Brightpearl, such as sales orders or emails. Each entry is color coded to help you find the information you need.
Displayed only when Helpdesk is activated. This is where you can view open tickets created by/for the customer through the Helpdesk module.
You can upload files to customer records in order to keep a record of external documents, such as emails or scanned images. Attach the files here and see them listed for future reference.
When you create PDF documents from orders (such as quotes or invoices), you'll be able to find them in the files tab here as well as on the order itself.
Displayed only where multiple customers exist with the same company name. Each colleague is listed along with their role and email address (if recorded).
For more information about the customer/company relationship, see this help article.
It is possible to add multiple addresses against a single customer or supplier record. Only two address blocks are available to use by default, but once they have been filled in and the customer record is saved a new block will become available.
Every time all the address blocks have been used and the customer is saved, a new block is made available:
Addresses can be set for Invoice and/or Delivery. When creating an accounting document (such as a statement), the invoice address is used. When shipping goods, the delivery address is used.
On the right-hand side of the customer record are several information boxes:
- Activities - This is where you will see any outstanding or due tasks relating to this contact, including calls, follow-ups, events, meetings and things to do.
- Open Sales & Quotes - A summary of any open orders or quotes, you can easily click to open one or to view their full order history.
- Financials - This box displays the total outstanding account balance and the credit limit, use the links to view a full financial history, record a payment or view/send a statement.
How to create a customer
- Go to Customers > New Customer. You should use the customers route for any contact that isn't a supplier.
- Enter the contacts company and name details at the top. Notice on the right-hand side the system looks for any matching records that already exist. If a match is found you can click on it to go to that record instead.
- Work your way through the tabs completing as much information as you need.
- Save your contact. The Timeline, Tickets and Files tabs will be displayed. You can begin viewing information here as it's collected.
How to create a supplier / vendor
The process is exactly the same as for creating a customer, except choose "supplier" or "vendor" instead.
Batch updating contacts
Batch processing of contacts allows you to update multiple contacts in one go. You can update various settings and data fields as well as produce a selection of documents. Using the batch processing options, you can update fields such as the contact status, or adding/removing tags. You can also produce documents (email or print), batch merge, delete and so on.
The 'touch' feature marks a contact as spoken to, and removes them from the 'not contacted in X days' notification on the left of the screen.
To run a batch process, view your customer or supplier lists and apply filters as desired. Tick the checkbox next to any contact to be processed. Use the -More- drop-down menu and the buttons to select the required operation.
When new contacts are created it is possible to default the following fields:
- The status for new customers
- The price list applied to new customers
- Default credit terms
- Default credit limit
- The service level for new customers
Go to Settings > Contacts > Contact defaults.