Contacts can be added and edited in Brightpearl using various methods:
- Manual entry: Contacts can be created and edited one by one directly within Brightpearl. It is also possible to make batch updates to various details on existing contact records.
- Imported from a spreadsheet: New contacts can be created or existing contacts can be updated by importing a spreadsheet. New customer records can also be created when orders are imported from a spreadsheet. Learn more about importing contacts here.
- Online: Customers are created when orders download from integrated sales channels.
- Smartforms: Smartforms, such as an enquiry form, can be embedded into a website for capturing customer details. When a customer fills one out, that creates a contact record in Brightpearl. Learn more about smartforms here.
- POS: Customers can be manually added through Brightpearl's POS app. Learn more about creating customers through POS here.
- API: Contacts can be created over the API.
Manually creating a new contact
- Go to Customers > New Customer or Vendors (suppliers) > New Vendor.
- Enter the contact's company name, salutation, first name and last name at the top of the form. Notice the system looks for any matching records that already exist and displays them on the right-hand side. If a match is found you can click on it to go to that record instead.
- Work your way through the tabs completing as much information as you need.
- Save your contact.
Upon saving your contact, the "Timeline" tab will be displayed. You can begin viewing information here as it's collected.
Understanding a contact record
Each contact record is made up of seven tabs, along with a header and some further information on the right-hand side of the page. If the contact is part of a company, an additional tab is displayed. A brief description of each tab is below, and you can see a full description of every available field here.
View, add and change basic contact information for the contact, such as email addresses and phone numbers.
It is possible to add multiple addresses against a single contact record. Only two address blocks are available to use by default, but once they have been filled in and the contact record is saved a new block will become available.
Different addresses can be set as the default address, invoice (billing) address and delivery address by clicking the "default", "invoice" or "delivery" links in the address box.
The default addresses will populate the address tab in an order created for the contact. The "invoice" address is used as the billing address and the "delivery" address is used as the destination when shipping goods.
This is where financial information is recorded for the customer such as the price list the use, tax code, currency and nominal code for recording sales revenue. It's possible to assign the customer credit terms and limits and blanket discount as well as record their bank details.
Custom fields tab
Custom fields are used for creating additional fields on contact records. These are useful for storing additional information which can be used for searching and reporting. Custom fields can also be added to document templates such as invoices and delivery notes.
Customers and vendors have different sets of custom fields.
This is where you can see a full chronological history of activity on the customer account. Entries will often provide a link to the related documentation in Brightpearl, such as sales orders or emails. Each entry is color coded to help you find the information you need.
Displayed only when the helpdesk is activated. This is where you can view open tickets created by or for the customer through the helpdesk module.
The Files tab displays any files related to the contact. This includes invoice and quote documents automatically generated by Brightpearl as well as any external files that have been manually attached to the contact record.
You can use the Files tab to:
- upload additional files
- delete files
- email files to the contact
Displayed only where multiple customers exist with the same company name. Each colleague is listed along with their role and email address (if recorded).
For more information about the customer/company relationship, see this help article.
The contact's status, used to keep track of where a customer is in the sales pipeline. Learn more about contact statuses here.
|Activities||Displays any outstanding tasks or scheduled activities related to the contact, including calls, follow-ups, events, meetings and other things to do. Learn more about activities.|
Open sales and quotes
Open purchase orders
|Displays a list of orders assigned to the contact which have not been invoiced.|
Displays the contact's account balance as well as links to the payment allocation screen and the contact's financial history.
Batch updating contacts
Batch processing of contacts allows you to update multiple contacts in one go.
Using the batch processing options, you can update fields such as the contact status, a custom field or their trade status. You can also produce documents, merge contacts, delete contacts and add or remove tags.
When new contacts are created it is possible to apply defaults to the following fields:
- The status for new customers
- The price list applied to new customers
- Default credit terms
- Default credit limit
- The service level for new customers
To update these defaults, go to Settings > Contacts > Contact defaults.
Learn how to create new customer and supplier records.