Invoices are used for recording money owed to vendors (suppliers) and any tax applicable to the purchase. Brightpearl provides two methods of recording a vendor invoice:
- A purchase invoice is received against a purchase order and provides a visible record of the invoice, the ability to receive purchase goods into stock and print documents
- A vendor bill creates only the accounting journal and provides no other record or option to receive goods or print documents
Purchase orders/invoices allow you to:
- Record a payment made to the vendor
- Post an invoice to create the accounting and update the vendor account balance
- Print or email purchase order documents to the vendor
- Receive inventory into stock
A purchase invoice is received against the original purchase order and will automatically be posted with the values displayed on the order screen. It is therefore important that the order prices and quantities match precisely to the details on the invoice received from the vendor.
Note: An invoice can only be received against an order where all or none of the inventory has been received - partially received purchase orders can't be invoiced.
Receiving a purchase invoice on a purchase order will:
- Create the invoice accounting to record purchases/stock received not invoiced, accounts payable and tax where applicable.
- Lock the purchase order so no further changes can be made.
- Update the vendor account balance and financial history with the amount owed. If the order has already been marked as paid the balance will automatically be cleared.
- Create accounting adjustments for price changes on any received inventory to ensure cost of sales is corrected.
- (Optional) Update your cost price list with any price changes so that future purchase orders use the correct pricing.
One invoice to many orders
A single invoice can be received against multiple purchase orders. All the items on the selected orders will be marked as invoiced.
Partial order invoices
If an invoice is only for part of the order, or orders, the remaining items must be split to a back order. Brightpearl only handles full order invoicing.
Multiple invoices for a single order
Similarly if multiple invoices are received all for a single order, the items for each invoice need to be split onto separate purchase orders.
Deleting or amending purchase invoices
Purchase orders can be un-invoiced to make corrections to purchase orders, such as changing values or tax codes. Learn more about un-invoicing purchases here.
Foreign currency purchase invoices
A purchase order is always created in the currency of the vendor it is added for, and the invoice is always received in the currency of the order.
A vendor can have invoices in multiple currencies by changing the currency on their record before adding an order, or where orders are added for secondary contacts of a company which have different currencies (all invoices are against the primary contact). A vendor account with invoices in multiple currencies will have a separate balance for each currency.
Vendor bills can be used to create the accounting for an invoiced received from a vendor. It creates no visible order record and does not allow for printing of an invoice document. It will create a PI type accounting journal and update the vendor account with the invoice balance. This process can be used to record items such as telephone, gas and electric bills.
How to enter a vendor bill
- Got to Vendors > Enter a Bill.
- Search for the vendor (only primary vendor contacts are searchable) or add a new vendor.
- Select the tax date and due date. Automatically calculate a due date by clicking the 30 Days button.
- Enter the Bill reference.
- Enter any further details.
- Enter the net amount.
- Select the correct tax code to calculate the tax and total values.
- Select the account code the charge relates to (e.g. Rent).
- To add more rows using a different tax rate or nominal code click the Add row button and then enter the details.
- To simultaneously create a bank payment and mark this invoice/credit as paid, select the Mark as paid at the same time checkbox.
- Click the Extra Options link if you want to associate this invoice with a department, project or lead source.
- Click the Enter Bill button.
Foreign currency vendor bills
The currency for a vendor bill defaults to the vendor currency, but it can be changed. The exchange rate defaults to the system exchange rate but can be edited.